Polish court's ruling: A sikh vs. airport security checks

Started by Martinus, December 21, 2011, 11:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Besides, in statistical terms, a sikh probably travels through a Polish airport once in a blue moon, and usually much more rarely than someone who e.g. has deep psychological issues with having a stranger go through his or her personal luggage. Should we skip that if someone is carrying a psychiatrist's certificate that they feel awfully embarrassed when a security guard goes through their unmentionables?

Josquius

But that requires extra resources, e.g time spent, additional officers/staff, delay of routine checks. Again, I ask: why all of this for a lunatic?
I'd imagine having special reason to want to check under someones hat would go with also wanting to check beneath their other clothes.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on December 25, 2011, 06:28:51 AM
Quote from: Maximus on December 21, 2011, 07:15:07 PM
Why would you accommodate some but not all?
The thing for me is again: why do religions get a special pass on the insanity train?

I'm not sure why you bother posting when you start with this. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 25, 2011, 09:48:34 AM
The thing for me is again: why do religions get a special pass on the insanity train?

Well, he's convinced me.  Gays shouldn't be allowed to get married.  To much extra hassle and paperwork.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2011, 11:05:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 25, 2011, 09:48:34 AM

Well, he's convinced me.  Gays shouldn't be allowed to get married.  To much extra hassle and paperwork.

I wonder if he realizes that if there's no freedom of religion, the first thing to be outlawed in Poland would likely be atheism?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: dps on December 25, 2011, 11:12:48 AM
I wonder if he realizes that if there's no freedom of religion, the first thing to be outlawed in Poland would likely be atheism?

What does freedom of religion have to do with handing out privileges to followers of certain religions? Marti is not arguing Sikhs should be banned from airports or their temples shut down. He's asking why shouldn't we apply the law equally to everyone regardless of beliefs. And he's right.

Solmyr

I have to agree with Marty on this one. Personal freedom of religion is fine, but it doesn't mean religion should get special rights under laws that apply to everybody. Liberalism doesn't mean everybody gets to do whatever the fuck they want.

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on December 25, 2011, 01:06:44 PM
What does freedom of religion have to do with handing out privileges to followers of certain religions? Marti is not arguing Sikhs should be banned from airports or their temples shut down. He's asking why shouldn't we apply the law equally to everyone regardless of beliefs. And he's right.

The concept that should apply here is "reasonable accommodations."  If there really is a reason why everyone has to take off their headgear (I'm not sure just what that reason is, but if it is justifiable, then it should apply), then the security procedures should take into account people who don't want to do so publicly, just as they take into account, say, people with wheelchairs.  If the religious dictates of a person cannot be met with a reasonable accommodation, then they have to eschew whatever service the security is protecting.

It isn't a black and white issue, and making reasonable accommodations doesn't grant anyone special rights under the law nor does it say a law doesn't apply because of someone's beliefs.

Not that security procedures are a matter of law in any case.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ancient Demon

If there's no compelling reason why Sikhs should have to take off their headgear, then there's no compelling reason why anyone should.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

DGuller

Quote from: Ancient Demon on December 25, 2011, 02:57:08 PM
If there's no compelling reason why Sikhs should have to take off their headgear, then there's no compelling reason why anyone should.
It's impolite to wear hats indoors.

Admiral Yi

I agreed with Marty's point back when we had the thread about the Austrian spaghetti strainer dude.

Martinus

Quote from: Ancient Demon on December 25, 2011, 02:57:08 PM

Precisely. I'd go further and say that if a spacious turban does not create a potential security risk as a matter of course, surely people's shoes (including flip flops) don't.

Ed Anger

All flip flop wearers should be barred from breathing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 25, 2011, 03:43:31 PM
Precisely. I'd go further and say that if a spacious turban does not create a potential security risk as a matter of course, surely people's shoes (including flip flops) don't.
Surely you know, shirley, that the shoe requirement was implemented much later than the rest of the tests, because someone named Richard Reed took advantage of the fact that shoes aren't scanned by the walk-through metal detectors.  :huh:

Taking off hats makes as much sense as taking off pants or skirts, as far as I can tell.

Now, if there are special reasons why security forces have reason to suspect what is under the hat as opposed to under the pants or skirt, then the requirement to remove hats is reasonable, and Sikhs (and others) have to live with it (though, again, there can be a reasonable accommodation made that it not be public, any more than it is public when, as happens, people are required to remove pants or skirts).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!