Polish court's ruling: A sikh vs. airport security checks

Started by Martinus, December 21, 2011, 11:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

They only Sikh I know is a colleague in UK who wears short hair, no beard and likes his beer and wine. He said, "Yeah, my family are Sikhs, but we don't do that beard and turban thing."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 12:17:26 PMIt is optional for women though I think.

Not quite. As I understand it, it's mandatory for baptized Sikhs. Most baptized Sikhs are men, but some women are as well and for them the turban is just as mandatory. I've seen a few of those around in Vancouver.

QuoteI also do not think it is quite as cut and dry as that.  The turban is part of the '5 K's' they are required to do but it is not like they believe if you take the Turban off for a few seconds you have failed as a Sikh or something.  They take them off to bathe for example.

And, I believe, they take them off in other very private contexts as well. Hence my comparison to asking people to strip down to their underwear.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2011, 12:34:17 PM
They only Sikh I know is a colleague in UK who wears short hair, no beard and likes his beer and wine. He said, "Yeah, my family are Sikhs, but we don't do that beard and turban thing."

Well that is the thing.  The requirements were supposed to only remind Sikh's of the lessons taught to them by their gurus.  But they were not supposed to be the religion itself the lessons were.  So opinions certainly vary on this point...or not.  Maybe I have that completely wrong.

I used to wonder why I found Indian religions, outside of Buddism and Islam, so confusing but was reassured by the BBC series 'Goodness Gracious Me' that the Indians themselves find them baffling.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2011, 12:33:20 PM
The tougher question for sikhs is when it comes to helmets.

Should a sikh motorcyclist be required to wear a safety helmet?  Should a sikh be refused employment on a job site that requires wearing a safety helmet?
yes, and yes. They aren't obligated to drive a motorcycle or work at a contruction site. Flights are different becasue it's very inconvenient to go but land o water over long distances.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Oddly enough you see plenty Indians with turban and beard in Vienna's streets. They're the primary newspaper vendors.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2011, 12:42:12 PM
Oddly enough you see plenty Indians with turban and beard in Vienna's streets. They're the primary newspaper vendors.

Over hear they drive taxis.  Probably half of all cabs are driven by sikhs.

Of course they do other things.  We have a sikh prosecutor.   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2011, 12:44:47 PM

A Dark Lord of the Sikh? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Of course they do other things.  We have a sikh prosecutor.   :)
cool. How does one exactly become a prosecutor solely of Sikhs?

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Considering their reputation I would be terrified to be prosecuted by a Sikh  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 12:46:53 PM
Considering their reputation I would be terrified to be prosecuted by a Sikh  :ph34r:
i'd be more worried about the gurkha's. There is no escape, only jail time or death by assassination :ph34r:

Solmyr

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2011, 12:33:20 PM
The tougher question for sikhs is when it comes to helmets.

Should a sikh motorcyclist be required to wear a safety helmet?  Should a sikh be refused employment on a job site that requires wearing a safety helmet?

Valmy

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 12:17:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2011, 12:04:46 PM
The sikh turban is an important part of the sikh religion.  It's not optional, or cultural - an observant sikh must wear a turban.

It is optional for women though I think.

I also do not think it is quite as cut and dry as that.  The turban is part of the '5 K's' they are required to do but it is not like they believe if you take the Turban off for a few seconds you have failed as a Sikh or something.  They take them off to bathe for example.

The hair itself is part of the 5 Ks.  I don't think the turban is.  Could be wrong.  Sikhism has some nice points (reincarnation, for example, sure seems a lot fairer than eternal judgment with no do-overs), but between the magic underwear, the also-magic comb, the forbidden haircut, mandatory bracelet, and the knife, its practice seems a little batty.

I feel bad when they're mistaken for Muslims by stupid people, though, given that the religion and culture were shaped in response to Muslim oppression.

I have no problem with minor inconveniences for security purposes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 12:40:50 PMWell that is the thing.  The requirements were supposed to only remind Sikh's of the lessons taught to them by their gurus.  But they were not supposed to be the religion itself the lessons were.  So opinions certainly vary on this point...or not.  Maybe I have that completely wrong.

You may be completely right, but it's probably best to leave the "this is what the religion really is about" to the people who follow it.