Polish court's ruling: A sikh vs. airport security checks

Started by Martinus, December 21, 2011, 11:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Sikhs do magic under garments as well?  Didn't know that.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on December 21, 2011, 01:27:10 PM
You may be completely right, but it's probably best to leave the "this is what the religion really is about" to the people who follow it.

Um sorry?  I find religions interesting and I enjoy trying to find out what they are about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on December 21, 2011, 01:25:23 PM
The hair itself is part of the 5 Ks.  I don't think the turban is.  Could be wrong.  Sikhism has some nice points (reincarnation, for example, sure seems a lot fairer than eternal judgment with no do-overs), but between the magic underwear, the also-magic comb, the forbidden haircut, mandatory bracelet, and the knife, its practice seems a little batty.

I feel bad when they're mistaken for Muslims by stupid people, though, given that the religion and culture were shaped in response to Muslim oppression.

I have no problem with minor inconveniences for security purposes.

Did you know there is such a thing as sikhiwiki.org where you can learn everything you ever wanted to know about sikhism? :lol:

The hair hair is called kesh, it must be both uncut and protected.  So the turban is part and parcel with that requirement.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Yep, I did, I've seen it before, but didn't memorize everything, and didn't bother to look it up now, I'm afraid. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2011, 01:32:34 PM
Did you know there is such a thing as sikhiwiki.org where you can learn everything you ever wanted to know about sikhism? :lol:

The hair hair is called kesh, it must be both uncut and protected.  So the turban is part and parcel with that requirement.

I used to go to Sikhnet myself :P

But thanks for the heads up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

I just liked the name.  :lol:  I actually thought it might be a prank, but the articles are full of deadly earnestness about the virtues of the sikhs. :(

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 01:29:15 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 21, 2011, 01:27:10 PM
You may be completely right, but it's probably best to leave the "this is what the religion really is about" to the people who follow it.

Um sorry?  I find religions interesting and I enjoy trying to find out what they are about.

Depends on what you are sikhing for.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on December 21, 2011, 01:40:16 PM

:lol:

Really it is just sikh how many puns about Sikhs you can do.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Given Marti's views regarding people not exactly like him it is not surprising to me that he supports this ruling.  BB did a good job summing up the other side (which iirc is the way the courts in all other civilizalized countries have dealt with the issue) so I wont go over that ground.  But in answer to BB question about requiring a Sikh to take off their head gear to wear a saftey helmet or somethings similiar the answer is very much fact driven and turns on the question of whether wearing the helmet etc is a "bona fide occupational requirment".  If it is then if the employee refuses to wear the required gear then they can be refused work and ultimately terminated in most cases.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 01:41:30 PM

The best part is, somewhere BB is bashing his forehead into his computer keys.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on December 21, 2011, 01:48:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 01:41:30 PM

The best part is, somewhere BB is bashing his forehead into his computer keys.  ;)

If I respond, I will only prompt more terrible puns.

<_<