Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2011, 01:50:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 21, 2011, 01:48:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 01:41:30 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 21, 2011, 01:40:16 PM
Depends on what you are sikhing for.

:lol:

Really it is just sikh how many puns about Sikhs you can do.

The best part is, somewhere BB is bashing his forehead into his computer keys.  ;)

If I respond, I will only prompt more terrible puns.

<_<

Sikh out your feelings.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2011, 01:50:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 21, 2011, 01:48:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 01:41:30 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 21, 2011, 01:40:16 PM
Depends on what you are sikhing for.

:lol:

Really it is just sikh how many puns about Sikhs you can do.

The best part is, somewhere BB is bashing his forehead into his computer keys.  ;)

If I respond, I will only prompt more terrible puns.

<_<

Indeed. You must find the whole situation sikhining.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Jacob

I think this whole pun thing is a sikhlical phenomenon.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: Jacob on December 21, 2011, 12:02:44 PM
As I understand it, for baptized Sikhs the hair is considered very intimate and private, so asking a devout Sikh to take his turban off is roughly in the same ballpark as asking you to strip down to your underwear.

Which might be necessary on occasion as part of a security check.  I don't have a problem with that when there's some cause for it, but it's unnecessary and excessive as standard procedure.

QuoteThe tougher question for sikhs is when it comes to helmets.

Should a sikh motorcyclist be required to wear a safety helmet?  Should a sikh be refused employment on a job site that requires wearing a safety helmet?

I'm opposed to mandatory helmet laws in the first place, so obviously my answer to the first question is "no".  I agree with CC on the second one.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: dps on December 21, 2011, 05:26:41 PMWhich might be necessary on occasion as part of a security check.  I don't have a problem with that when there's some cause for it, but it's unnecessary and excessive as standard procedure.

Yeah, that seems reasonable to me too, though I'd add the caveat that the turban-removal be done in private and with as much respect given to the dignity of the individual in question; i.e. do it away from view of the public and with courteous professionalism.

DGuller

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on December 21, 2011, 05:47:46 PM
Seriously, enough with the punjabs.  :rolleyes:

I don't know. I think it's been a pretty sikhcessful thread so far.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on December 21, 2011, 11:51:57 AM
A religious sikh sued the Warsaw airport security guard for asking him to take his headgear off for routine security checks (Polish rules require everyone to take off their hat/headgear). When he refused, they refused to let him on the plane.

He lost.

I agree with the ruling but I was wondering if someone would defend his side of this.

If reasonable steps were taken to inform him of the security rules when he bought the ticket then where would the problem be?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2011, 12:04:46 PMThe sikh turban is an important part of the sikh religion.  It's not optional, or cultural - an observant sikh must wear a turban.

I've always said that reasonable accomodations must be made for religious observations.  In this case the individual has already gone through the metal detector.  Unless there is some reason to require further investigation I see no need to deny this man access to his flight because it is policy to make people remove their headwear.

Why must you accommodate all religions?

Maximus

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Maximus on December 21, 2011, 07:15:07 PM
Why would you accommodate some but not all?

Because some are more easily accommodated than others.