News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars The Old Republic Roll Call

Started by Berkut, December 20, 2011, 09:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Oh, with that I have no problem (see my comments on Until Dawn). It's the cliché of bringing in an outside threat with superior technology and magic Force abilities that forces everyone to band together. See Mass Effect, see Dragon Age, see so many others. Attaching family drama does little to me, because these are all new characters to whom I feel little to no attachment at this point and who besides their trying to rule the galaxy have given me little reason why I should care about them. I find Vilayna (spelling? but also get it, villain?) so comically overplayed that she feels more like a caricature to me than a dangerous threat. Arcann is petulant and brooding, and pretend-mysterious that I don't feel engaged at all. Again, YMMV, but this doesn't grab me yet, and it makes me feel like nothing my character did prior to being frozen in carbonite mattered at all.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I guess it depends a bit on the class, since the one-size-fits-all story has some drawbacks. The Jedi Knight storyline ties together very nicely since [spoiler]you've already been dominated by the Emperor, and killed him once, so when you develop that relationship with him, it kinda feels twisted but natural.[/spoiler]

Syt

Oh, it's similar (though not as close) as Sith Warrior - [spoiler]you're supposed to represent his will, and while you don't meet him personally during your own storyline you have the baggage of supposedly being his enforcer, but at the same time having to adress that he abandoned "your" Empire and in fact a threat to it. [/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I won't be reading those spoilers since my Sith Warrior is still level 20ish :p

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

So despite my bitching, I am back in. I guess it scratches an itch for a while if nothing else.

I actually realized that if I consolidated all my characters, I could have one character for each story line, with one character for each of the eight archtypes.

4 Dark, 4 light. 4 chicks, 4 dudes.

I one of each crafters, and two that just do gathering/missions skills.

I did have to create one more new character, a Trooper Vanguard - he is a black guy named Bah'rak-Obiama. General chat has been fun with him.

And I am finding that crafting is still a thing. I am making good creds selling shit on the GTN, and if you figure the system out, making useful stuff for your leveling toons is still worth doing, as long as you like crafting. The adaptive armor makes things MUCH easier.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Solmyr

I actually have a LS and a DS character for each storyline, for a total of 16. :P Because playing a LS Jedi and a DS Jedi is quite different. And hey, now that you can play through those stories very quickly, there's no reason to limit yourself.

Berkut

I guess they would be different if you specced them differently...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Well, yeah, you could go for example and play as Juggernaut and Marauder when playing Sith Warrior.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I have not been playing much these holidays actually  :lol:. I wanted to seize the chance of double exp to level a character or two, but have been too busy with other stuff.

I intend to roll a male trooper, because I so want to romance Ellara Dorne, that accent gets me every time.  :blush:

Barrister

Sorry Kat - been playing a bit again - jedi knight named Zelechka.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Yeah, it's not as good as Kotor proper, but some of the stories are good. And there's loads of story content.

Gameplay is just a WoW clone.

Queequeg

How much would I have to pay for a good, say, Jedi Consular playthrough? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Class stories are all free to play. You can test the game and see if you like it.

If you like the game, I recommend that you subscribe for a month and then cancel it. That way, you'll unlock all the expansions published to date.

SHAMELESS PLUG: my referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/T8tlVD

If you use it when signing up for the game, they'll send some starting goodies your way. If you end up subscribing I'll get some stuff to. (No big deal if you don't).