News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars The Old Republic Roll Call

Started by Berkut, December 20, 2011, 09:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

So far, it reminds me of Destiny, most encounters are similar, with creatures differentiated by their skin, mostly.  Not that entertaining, certainly less than KOTOR 1&2.  I'll see :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

There is a reason it quickly lost its community of players.

Berkut

It is actuallly doing pretty damn well for a game that has been around for as long as it has, and in fact the player base has nearly doubled in the last year or two, IIRC.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on December 08, 2020, 06:17:01 PM
It is actuallly doing pretty damn well for a game that has been around for as long as it has, and in fact the player base has nearly doubled in the last year or two, IIRC.

Not sure you are recalling correctly.  A few months after release the player base collapsed and it went free to play. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 08, 2020, 07:40:15 PM

Not sure you are recalling correctly.  A few months after release the player base collapsed and it went free to play. 

It picked up steam after that.  There seems to be a lot of people in game, actually.  Don't really care for now, anyway.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Yeah, it seems to be pretty stable, kinda like Star Trek Online. Not super huge but with a stable player base.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on December 08, 2020, 08:26:29 PM

It picked up steam after that.  There seems to be a lot of people in game, actually.  Don't really care for now, anyway.

It was literally released on Steam this year and saw a boost of players as a result. :D

viper37

Quote from: Solmyr on December 09, 2020, 04:22:59 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 08, 2020, 08:26:29 PM

It was literally released on Steam this year and saw a boost of players as a result. :D

hey, nice word play on my part! :D

I thought it used to be there for a while.

Anyhow, back to the game.

I do not see much reason to subscribe right now.

Sure, some things are pricier in game that without a subscription, but you get so much cash in game that it hardly matters.

The fighter missions are a little tedious to play.  You don't get a true SW feeling like in Tie Fighter.  the movements are severly limited, you can keep on shooting with no consequences to your power level, asteroids are a bitch to avoid, ennemies are dumb, and so on.

As for the combat in itself, it's pretty basic and you really only need a few defensive powers and one or two attack powers to defeat your ennemies.  Some missions are extremely easy while others are insanely difficult on the same planet.  Maybe they were meant for a full party.

This being a MMO compared to a regular RPG, you only get one NPC to accompany you at a time, and the same lines over&over&over.  It gets boring quickly.

While the planet exteriors are different, the interior layout is always very similar.  Alderaan and Coruscant are basically identical.  Enterint smaller settlements is always the same layout.  Missions are extremely similar to one another: go there, kill X ennemies, report back.

I was hoping for something more like KOTOR III, I'm a bit disapointed.  Also, some bugs.  Kept hitting at a stupid Moff for half an hour until I found a way to eliminate his invicibility bug.  And add to do this mission 2 times in a row to get it to complete.

I don't see myself playing a lot in there, despite me being a huge SW fan.  I might give the Skyrim-esque MMO a try.

Barrister

Last time I played (maybe a year or two ago)...

They obviously attempted to streamline the levelling process at one point so it didn't take so long.  But SWTOR levelling was also incredibly linear, and had these class missions sprinkled throughout.  So you'd have to still run through all these huge maps, sometimes dodging mobs, just to get to your required class missions.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2020, 11:50:18 AM
Last time I played (maybe a year or two ago)...

They obviously attempted to streamline the levelling process at one point so it didn't take so long.  But SWTOR levelling was also incredibly linear, and had these class missions sprinkled throughout.  So you'd have to still run through all these huge maps, sometimes dodging mobs, just to get to your required class missions.

It helps a lot that they unlock all taxi points by default, and also all fast travel points. Plus, fast travel has like no cool down when you sub.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on December 10, 2020, 11:36:28 AM
I was hoping for something more like KOTOR III, I'm a bit disapointed.  Also, some bugs.  Kept hitting at a stupid Moff for half an hour until I found a way to eliminate his invicibility bug.  And add to do this mission 2 times in a row to get it to complete.

If you mean Grand Moff Kilran in the Maelstrom, his invincibility is part of the boss fight mechanics. You have to go behind him and hit him from there.

viper37

Quote from: Solmyr on December 11, 2020, 04:24:14 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 10, 2020, 11:36:28 AM

If you mean Grand Moff Kilran in the Maelstrom, his invincibility is part of the boss fight mechanics. You have to go behind him and hit him from there.

him, yes, but no, it isn't part of the mechanics, even hitting him from behind did not work.

When he retreats upstairs, you need to do 2 things:
a) hit the locked door behind him
b) attack the hidden creature under the stairs

the he follows you and attack normally.  It is a bug documented on the forum and it's never been fixed.

Solmyr

Okay, strange. I've done that fight many times and never had a problem.

viper37

Nobody thought of telling the new guy there was a level 60 cap on experience until you completed your main story?
Here I was merrily exploring the galaxy, picking up some mission that led me to a massive fight with Revan only to learn that:
a) I had killed the Emperor without even knowing it :P
b) Sorry, you can't level up anymore until you complete your story class!

All while I was stuck in that Revan mission and couldn't exit it.

Solmyr

Is that some weird free-to-play thing? I've never had a problem getting to max level way before completing the class story (because I do all the side quests). Also yeah, you want to play those expansion pack storylines after you complete your main story.