News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars The Old Republic Roll Call

Started by Berkut, December 20, 2011, 09:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Nothing really. I presume you could do PVP and hard mode flashpoints with groups. But they're fully focused on story now.

That said, the final battle in the Sith Warrior story was not very hard even at release.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Fully focused on story is good.

Nerfing all actual gameplay to triviality is not so good.

Like, my gear is all green shit, and even then it makes no difference. I assume there is no reason to bother crafting anything, since you don't need even average gear to blow through content anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

The thing is the combat was already trivial before all the changes. There were few battles in your class or in planet stories that were an actual challenge, but rather they were a grind of always repeating skill rotations against the always same groups of enemies. So reducing the time needed for that is welcome (I could only play one or two planets in a row before I got too bored by the imbalance of story vs. grind).

The better solution would of course be to revamp the mobs on all maps (fewer but harder?), but then you run risk of falling into grind again. It would be nice if at least boss battles would be harder, or the (few) gimmick battles. Solo mode flashpoints feel the most like the old leveling experience - more a war of attrition than an actual challenge.

Or overhaul the combat system to something more engaging.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on December 21, 2015, 10:05:17 AM
Fully focused on story is good.

Nerfing all actual gameplay to triviality is not so good.

Like, my gear is all green shit, and even then it makes no difference. I assume there is no reason to bother crafting anything, since you don't need even average gear to blow through content anyway.

The best way to gear for solo mode IMO is to get some orange gear you like, and then use the commendations common data crystals to buy upgrades from level appropriate mod vendors (they're spaced out at 4 level intervals, IIRC, and I would go to them every 8 levels). When you hit max level you may want to check the auction house if there's better gear/mods you can buy, as the highest stat gear can't be gotten from mod vendors. Though I'm not sure it's entirely necessary. Rather, invest in cosmetic gear you like.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Translation: Yeah, no reason to bother with crafting, since it is all basically useless.

0 rows returned

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

They are reportedly improving crafting in the next major patch. Right now, as you say, it's pretty unnecessary.

Berkut

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on December 21, 2015, 09:49:45 AM
I finished the Sith Warrior basic storyline, so that is the first one I've done.

The combat is so stupidly easy now. I finished the ultimate fight, the culmination of the entire arc, without ever dropping below 96% health. It took about 20 seconds.

What is the meat of the game now, other than just blasting through the storylines?

I believe there is still raiding / grinding for those who are into that.  And PvP of course.

But yeah I'm trying to decide what to do next - do I go on to see Chapters 4, 5 and on with my Trooper (knowing that from this point on all the stories are the same), or do I go back and see the class storyline for at least the Jedi Knight, and maybe an Imperial side character or two?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2015, 01:06:54 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 21, 2015, 09:49:45 AM
I finished the Sith Warrior basic storyline, so that is the first one I've done.

The combat is so stupidly easy now. I finished the ultimate fight, the culmination of the entire arc, without ever dropping below 96% health. It took about 20 seconds.

What is the meat of the game now, other than just blasting through the storylines?

I believe there is still raiding / grinding for those who are into that.  And PvP of course.

But yeah I'm trying to decide what to do next - do I go on to see Chapters 4, 5 and on with my Trooper (knowing that from this point on all the stories are the same), or do I go back and see the class storyline for at least the Jedi Knight, and maybe an Imperial side character or two?

I recommend you do Jedi Knight. It fleshes out a lot of the backstory, in particular regarding the Emperor.

Syt

If you go dark side - you can play agent and bounty hunter as light side characters to some extent - e.g. the agent trying to prevent unnecessary deaths, trying to keep Imperial citizens safe. It's probably a much better story as light sider or neutral than as dark side character. As Sith you have less options, but you can play as a reasonably honorable warrior. Sorcerer is pretty evil/batshit no matter what you do.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2015, 03:24:24 PM
If you go dark side - you can play agent and bounty hunter as light side characters to some extent - e.g. the agent trying to prevent unnecessary deaths, trying to keep Imperial citizens safe. It's probably a much better story as light sider or neutral than as dark side character. As Sith you have less options, but you can play as a reasonably honorable warrior. Sorcerer is pretty evil/batshit no matter what you do.

Sorcerer was the one imperial character I played for any great length (up to the 30s I think).  And yes - completely batshit cartoonish super-villain.

celedhring

I like playing my agent. I roleplay him as an Imperial patriot that always does what its best for the Empire - which usually means that the Sith and their psycho ways are more problem than they are worth.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2015, 03:41:00 PM
I like playing my agent. I roleplay him as an Imperial patriot that always does what its best for the Empire - which usually means that the Sith and their psycho ways are more problem than they are worth.

Very much so.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

I fired up a lvl 28 jedi knight I had lying around, and went out adventuring.  This character hasn't been touched for months and months, so was levelled up under the old, harder experience.

I found combat was not simply an exercise in face-rolling.  I even died a couple of times.

I wonder if the reason I found everything so easy on my trooper was because I had out-levelled everything? :unsure: