News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 29, 2012, 05:09:10 PMThe broken promise that bothers me the most is his transparency pledge.  It took him just a few days in office to shit all over that one.

I bet you really regret voting for him now :console:

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on February 29, 2012, 05:12:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 29, 2012, 05:09:10 PMThe broken promise that bothers me the most is his transparency pledge.  It took him just a few days in office to shit all over that one.

I bet you really regret voting for him now :console:

More like I regret not giving more money to Hillary's campaign.  Anyway, it was one of those "silver lining"-type things I hoped would make his presidency less painful.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on February 29, 2012, 05:04:48 PM
I'd say 65 broken promises is a lot.  To me the raw number of promises broken is more important than the percentage.  And I'm not trying to dump on Obama-- I was just using him as a recent example.
I get it's not about Obama - neither's my point, but Politifact's easier to browse than a paper on Athens on Presidents from Wilson to Carter :lol:

I see your point.  But the context is candidates saying things to go with the flow or make easy promises in the primaries.  The percentage matters to me because you've got got a 3 in 4 chance they'll try and do it, even if there's lots of individual broken promises on the way. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 29, 2012, 05:24:44 PMMore like I regret not giving more money to Hillary's campaign.  Anyway, it was one of those "silver lining"-type things I hoped would make his presidency less painful.

You gave money to Hillary?  :huh:

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on February 29, 2012, 05:42:26 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 29, 2012, 05:24:44 PMMore like I regret not giving more money to Hillary's campaign.  Anyway, it was one of those "silver lining"-type things I hoped would make his presidency less painful.

I made a token donation, yes. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 29, 2012, 08:04:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 29, 2012, 05:42:26 PM

I made a token donation, yes.

Imagine his surprise when he couldn't just tuck it into her garter.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 29, 2012, 08:05:23 PM
Imagine his surprise when he couldn't just tuck it into her garter.

Hillary's legs  :wub:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

No wonder your sports take so long, this is like death by a thousand sound bites.

Damn, I wish Obama really was like Putin, then is 'election' would be so much more orderly and concise.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

omg, is that mongers whining again about the primary?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Seriously mongers, you got that point across with the first three identical posts.

If someone started up a cricket thread and I posted every single day in there that cricket takes too long and is boring to watch, you'd think I was a retard, wouldn't you?

katmai

I'd think you were just talking common sense Yipster. I mean it is cricket.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on February 29, 2012, 10:50:08 PM
I'd think you were just talking common sense Yipster. I mean it is cricket.

Even a cricket thread doesn't deserve to be stalked. :contract:

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 29, 2012, 04:35:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 29, 2012, 04:34:14 PM
Why don't you give us examples of him actually saying these things.

Because it would be a trivial and meaningless excercise.

I suppose it would be a meaningless exercise to prove he broke some promises in the future.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on March 01, 2012, 04:06:49 AMI suppose it would be a meaningless exercise to prove he broke some promises in the future.

really? you've somehow missed at least the news re: the hypocrisy related to obama condemning super pacs and then accepting what they have to offer? i mean, i don't really follow politics all that much, and still i've heard it

here:
QuoteIn October of that year, shortly before the mid-term elections, the president lambasted the role of outside spending groups, particularly those that are not required to disclose its donors.

"This isn't just a threat to Democrats," he said. "This is a threat to our democracy."

now, knowing raz, if he hadn't ignored me i can easily see him arguing for ten pages over little nitpicky issues that really don't mean anything like "oh obama never said super pacs" or "he never said he wouldn't use them, he just said they're a threat to democracy!" but .. alas  :(