News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2012, 01:11:46 PM
She can act okay, I guess.  But she was a very weak Clarice in Hannibal-- though I guess it'd be nearly impossible to follow Jodie Foster in that role.

Well, she was only as strong as a weak script and a rewritten ending that diverged from the novel--which is why Foster refused to do it.

Viking

I'd just like to point out that not being as good an actress as Jodie Foster still leaves open the option of merely being the 2nd best female actress of her generation. I'm not suggesting Moore is the 2nd best female actress of her generation, I'm just pointing out that saying that moore is not as good as foster reduces to saying that moore is not the same person as foster.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

I just noticed there's a Canadian election thread, and it's almost as long as this one.  :lol:

Meryl Streep is roughly the same generation as Foster, she's certainly the most acclaimed actress of the generation.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

She can act okay, I guess.  But she was a very weak Clarice in Hannibal-- though I guess it'd be nearly impossible to follow Jodie Foster in that role.

Julianne Moore is generally pretty weak though even while likeable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 01, 2012, 02:40:37 PM
Meryl Streep is roughly the same generation as Foster, she's certainly the most acclaimed actress of the generation.

Hmm? Meryl Streep is more in Glenn Close/Candice Bergen generation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I just noticed there's a Canadian election thread, and it's almost as long as this one.  :lol:

We cheated - the election was over more than a year ago, but we keep using the same thread.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2012, 02:47:28 PM
Hmm? Meryl Streep is more in Glenn Close/Candice Bergen generation.

Withdrawn. I didn't realize she was over 30 when she did Sophie's Choice.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Gingrich is running radio ads like crazy here.  Literally every commercial break yesterday afternoon.  It ends with something like "People in Washington don't like Newt very much.  But that's a good thing."

I suppose it might be a good thing-- if only people outside Washington felt any differently :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Meanwhile in Iran (courtesy of Titanic): "Thrilling preliminaries in Iran: two candidates already eliminated!"

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2012, 01:39:13 PM
Well, she was only as strong as a weak script and a rewritten ending that diverged from the novel--which is why Foster refused to do it.
Nobody came out of that movie a winner.  Even Lecter was diminished as a result of that film.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on March 02, 2012, 11:38:28 AM
Meanwhile in Iran (courtesy of Titanic): "Thrilling preliminaries in Iran: two candidates already eliminated!"

The Republican primaries could use a bit of that approach ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

The Newt "winning our future" PAC is still running ads in Nevada against Romney. Hello, McFly? Caucus is over, please do a better job at buying air time. thx.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

Streep is a '49 model Foster is a '62, though they both broke into the entertainment industry in 1976, only Foster was in Bugsy Malone while Streep got famous on broadway.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

I think the book's pretty poor too.  Harris got a bit into writing Hannibal and could have done with an editor to tone it down.  Clarice is weak in the novel and the film.  But I think Moore's really good.  She's brilliant in The Hours, Magnolia, The End of the Affair (otherwise a poor film) and Boogie Nights.  I liked her in that Kids Are Alright film too.

No argument on Foster.  She's a great actress.

I love Meryl but I find her a bit overrated.  She's like a good (but not great) British actor, a female Kenneth Branagh.  There's always something a bit Streep-ish about almost all of her performances.  Plus I think she goes in for not that good award-bait films way too easily.
Let's bomb Russia!

Kleves

Meh, the ending of the book sucked and deserved to be changed.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.