And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on March 02, 2012, 02:00:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2012, 01:39:13 PM
Well, she was only as strong as a weak script and a rewritten ending that diverged from the novel--which is why Foster refused to do it.
Meh, the ending of the book sucked and deserved to be changed.

Nonsense. That was a total and complete brain fuck of biblical proportions, as only Hannibal Lecter could accomplish.  I felt it was done triumphantly.

Kleves

Today was Washington's GOP caucus. I had never really handled a caucus like this before, but I just lined up behind Romney and powered through until I was spent. It was oddly satisfying. 
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

Quote from: Kleves on March 03, 2012, 02:24:00 PM
Today was Washington's GOP caucus. I had never really handled a caucus like this before, but I just lined up behind Romney and powered through until I was spent. It was oddly satisfying.

:rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Phillip V

Romney will likely win the most delegates this Super Tuesday, but the message of the night will probably be centered on who wins Ohio.

A secondary story may be about Gingrich, and whether he still has second or first place support in any states outside of Georgia.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/republican_delegate_count.html

Faeelin

Surprised nobody's posted this:

From Romney, in 2009:

http://mittromneycentral.com/op-eds/2009-op-eds/mr-president-whats-the-rush/

Our experience also demonstrates that getting every citizen insured doesn't have to break the bank. First, we established incentives for those who were uninsured to buy insurance. Using tax penalties, as we did, or tax credits, as others have proposed, encourages "free riders" to take responsibility for themselves rather than pass their medical costs on to others. This doesn't cost the government a single dollar. Second, we helped pay for our new program by ending an old one — something government should do more often. The federal government sends an estimated $42 billion to hospitals that care for the poor: Use those funds instead to help the poor buy private insurance, as we did.

From Mitt Romney's Op ed in 2009 in USA Today.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2012, 01:11:46 PM
She can act okay, I guess.  But she was a very weak Clarice in Hannibal-- though I guess it'd be nearly impossible to follow Jodie Foster in that role.

Jodie Foster is such a great actress, does anybody have any ideas on how i could impress her??
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

sbr

Maximus

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2012, 12:22:41 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on March 01, 2012, 11:15:52 AM
10 takeaways from an early screening of 'Game Change': http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/73491.html

QuotePalin does indeed come off as a flawed candidate in the film, with advisers questioning her mental stability. She's reluctant to heed advice to prepare for debates and to put the good of the ticket over her own personal desires and ambitions. The Palin character comes across as woefully unprepared for the national stage and fails to understand the basics of such topics as the Federal Reserve, the British monarchy, World War II, North & South Korea and who attacked the United States on Sept. 11. Flattering or not, HBO says it's simply the truth.

It's not like we needed HBO to figure that out.  It was pretty apparent at the time.

Andrew Breitbart is rolling over in his grave.  Or has he been buried yet?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2012, 12:49:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2012, 12:43:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 01, 2012, 12:33:04 PM
Back off Julianne Moore <_<

Never was a fan.  She's had roles where she was *almost* attractive, but never quite put it all together.

I think she's a decent actress but she was really only hot once, and that was as the doctor in The Fugitive.

I liked her in Magnolia.

Big Lebowski.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Phillip V

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 29, 2012, 04:12:30 PM
Similarly if you look at the Politifact thing they're tracking 500 promises Obama made, he's broken around 65.  He's kept around 170 and another 160 are 'in the works', 50 have been done as 'compromises' and around 70 are 'stalled' in Congress or whatever.

Late to the party, but the bolded actually concerns me.  That's just way too many for an election cycle that runs maybe 12 months (not sure if Politifact includes speculative "promises" suggested before the start of primaries).  That boils down to over 40 promises made each month, more than one per day.  That's used car salesman level, that.
Experience bij!

citizen k

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 04, 2012, 11:10:09 AM
That boils down to over 40 promises made each month, more than one per day.  That's used car salesman level, that.

Essentially, that's what politicians are.

Phillip V

Tennessee might actually be a toss-up between Romney and Santorum: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/tn/tennessee_republican_presidential_primary-2043.html

If Romney can win Ohio plus a southern state or two on Super Tuesday, he may finally put a decisive end to this nomination contest.

Meanwhile, RCP now has Ron Paul beating Newt Gingrich for third place in number of delegates: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/republican_delegate_count.html

Sheilbh

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 04, 2012, 11:10:09 AM
Late to the party, but the bolded actually concerns me.  That's just way too many for an election cycle that runs maybe 12 months (not sure if Politifact includes speculative "promises" suggested before the start of primaries).  That boils down to over 40 promises made each month, more than one per day.  That's used car salesman level, that.
Well the election runs for a lot longer than a year.  I think this time round we'd already had 50 debates by November :P

But also if you think that each promise is regarding a specific policy - that's what they're measuring.  So he says 'I'll pass healthcare reform' - they don't count that. 

Rather they count the promises made in his platform, policy documents, briefings and speeches on what that healthcare reform bill should include.  If you do that across all policy areas you end up with a lot.  I think especially in the last election because I remember Edwards releasing incredibly detailed policy plans, which then forced Clinton and Obama to releasing similarly detailed ones.  So it's not that a promise is made a day, it's that they make a big speech and release a briefing paper on, say, Medicare - in the course of doing that they'll probably have made 20-30 promises.

Then there's lots of promises to work towards something, or to study something.  Each of those gets measured on the site as a 'promise' even though it's really, really easy to keep. 

Anyway if you think that's bad the last British election would terrify you.  I think the Tory manifesto was about 300 pages long and the election only lasted 6 weeks :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!