News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Kim Jong-Il Dead

Started by Queequeg, December 18, 2011, 10:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2011, 03:18:33 AM
Awesome talk that summarizes a lot of the stuff from his book "The Cleanest Race"

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/292562-1

QuoteB.R. Myers takes an in-depth look at North Korean society and the domestic propaganda to which its citizens are exposed.  Myers argues that North Korea is a paranoid, military-dominated nationalist state with a government that is influenced heavily by Japanese fascism.  ...

You are such an idiot.  :lol:

jimmy olsen

:mellow: It's a great book, people here liked Hitchens review of it.

Also, he refutes the typical analysis of the nation as a Stalinist Marxist Leninist Confucian state and argues that it's ideology is entirely reliant on a plagiarized Korean version of Japanese blood nationalism.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I imagine Hitchens would like something waves off the Marxist foundations of the NK state.  I believe he described NK as a theocratic state, but for him it "religion" is just synonym for "stuff I don't like".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2011, 04:02:53 AM

Also, he refutes the typical analysis of the nation as a Stalinist Marxist Leninist Confusion state and argues that it's ideology is entirely reliant on a plagiarized Korean version of Japanese blood nationalism.

Confusion?  :lol:

Eddie Teach

The natural state of Tim and Martinus when attempting to communicate with each other.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2011, 05:04:19 AM

Also, he refutes the typical analysis of the nation as a Stalinist Marxist Leninist Confusion state and argues that it's ideology is entirely reliant on a plagiarized Korean version of Japanese blood nationalism.

Fucking spell check betrayed me! <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

(From Google search for "poor workman blames tools" :unsure:)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2011, 02:10:03 AM
Biased pool.  Those people are defectors.  Nobody knows what the average North Korean actually thinks about this stuff.  It's not like there are opinion polls, town halls, or letters to the editor.  Perhaps we will find out if this regime falls apart.

It's not just from defectors, but also from people who smuggle back and forth across the border and from second-hand info.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Martinus

You gotta give it to Kim, they don't make dictators like this anymore. For example consider this story of a South Korean movie director:

QuoteIn 1978, actress Choi Eun-hee, recently divorced from Shin, was kidnapped from Hong Kong to North Korea. When Shin traveled to Hong Kong to investigate, he was kidnapped as well. The kidnappings were on orders of future leader Kim Jong-il, who wanted to establish a film industry for his country to sway international opinion regarding the views of the Workers' Party of Korea.[4] The North Korean authorities have denied the kidnapping accusations, claiming that Shin came to the country willingly. Shin and Choi made secret audio tapes of conversations with Kim Jong-il, supporting their story.

Shin was put in comfortable accommodations, but, after an escape attempt, was placed in prison. He was brought to Pyongyang in 1983, to learn why he had been brought to North Korea.[4] His ex-wife was also brought to the same dinner party, where she first learned that Shin was also in North Korea. They re-married shortly afterwards, as suggested by Kim Jong-il.

From 1983 Shin directed seven films with Kim Jong-il acting as an executive producer. The best known of these films is Pulgasari, a giant-monster film similar to the Japanese Godzilla. In 1986, eight years after his kidnapping, Shin and his wife escaped while in Vienna for a film festival[4]. They managed to seek political asylum from the United States Embassy before they were found out. Kim Jong-il became convinced that the couple had been kidnapped by the Americans. They eventually fled safely.

:lol:

Camerus

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2011, 05:04:19 AM

Tim's spelling difficulties may have caused him to stumble into an accidental insight.  I can think of no better description of the NK regime than a Stalinist Marxist Leninist Confusion state.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valdemar on December 19, 2011, 07:24:37 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 19, 2011, 04:41:02 AM
The new Mr. Evil..... :lmfao:

Looks like he ate all the food his people should have had :D

V

He looks a lot like his gradfather.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on December 20, 2011, 09:52:44 AM
Kim Jong-Il looking at things:

http://kimjongillookingatthings.tumblr.com/

Yeah I saw that with a comment of "now who will look at all the things".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.