Former lovers of undercover officers sue police over deceit

Started by jimmy olsen, December 17, 2011, 04:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on December 19, 2011, 11:49:51 PM
Shopped this around the office and the general response was "bitches be trippin'."

Haven't you established in the past that you work with braindead fuckwits? :hmm:

Anyway, regarding the married/not married thing, I think that impacts the measure of fraud, not whether a fraud occurred; and the measures are not very far off.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2011, 04:44:17 PM
The article says it's not allowed. They say it's 'never acceptable' and 'grossly unprofessional'.  He was more than undercover, according to the environmentalists he was with, apparently he was an agent provocateur - again, I believe, not allowed - and he's said everything he did his bosses knew about.

This is the part that bothers me, to be honest. Well, this and the fact that Scotland Yard thought it necessary to infiltrate these groups in the first place. The relationships themselves were... well, relationships. The rest, though, seems stupid at best; worthy of employment sanctions at worst.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: garbon on December 20, 2011, 07:53:47 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2011, 02:56:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 19, 2011, 11:49:51 PM
Shopped this around the office and the general response was "bitches be trippin'."

Maybe you shouldn't work with blacks?  :bowler:

I'm not sure how that would ever be an acceptable statement, you racist fuck.

Oh dear, that's one of the most racist things anyone said on languish, and that saying something. 

Weird, that it should come from someone so apparently 'progressive'.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on December 20, 2011, 01:03:48 PM
This is the part that bothers me, to be honest. Well, this and the fact that Scotland Yard thought it necessary to infiltrate these groups in the first place.
This is the thing I don't get.  When he was outed as a policeman it caused the collapse of an aggravated trespass trial.  I haven't seen anything else that justifies infiltrating these groups for seven years.  Which makes the whole thing stink a little.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 20, 2011, 02:41:11 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 20, 2011, 01:03:48 PM
This is the part that bothers me, to be honest. Well, this and the fact that Scotland Yard thought it necessary to infiltrate these groups in the first place.
This is the thing I don't get.  When he was outed as a policeman it caused the collapse of an aggravated trespass trial.  I haven't seen anything else that justifies infiltrating these groups for seven years.  Which makes the whole thing stink a little.
You've gotta prevent crazies from running amok in London.

Oh wait.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Do environmental groups never demonstrate non-peacefully, trespass into secure areas, destroy property, any of those things?  I'm not sure the line between environmental group and smash em up anarchist is all that clear cut.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2011, 02:46:35 PM
Do environmental groups never demonstrate non-peacefully, trespass into secure areas, destroy property, any of those things?  I'm not sure the line between environmental group and smash em up anarchist is all that clear cut.

And monitoring that requires one infiltrate them for years on end?  I mean if they are doing these things on a regular basis surely getting a few recordings of a conspiracy to do those sorts of things should be all you need.  Do you need to be amongst them for years to do that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2011, 02:54:00 PM
And monitoring that requires one infiltrate them for years on end?  I mean if they are doing these things on a regular basis surely getting a few recordings of a conspiracy to do those sorts of things should be all you need.  Do you need to be amongst them for years to do that?

Well they keep smashing stuff up every once in a while.  Doesn't seem like a one and done deal to me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2011, 02:46:35 PM
They trespass - the trial that collapsed was on trespass into a power plant.  Obviously the police have a responsibility to try and stop people from trespassing into secure areas or destroying property.  It's clear that Mark Kennedy wasn't the only one, I believe other trials have fallen apart as the police have had to pull people out.  Nothing I've read suggests that any of the environmental groups - or even the anarchists - were wanting to do anything large enough to justify this.  And I think the justification for a seven year undercover operation and others should be pretty high, just given the sheer cost and allocation of resources, especially in the last decade.

A police force using agent provocateurs messing with protest groups and keeping them disrupted sounds more plausible in my view. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2011, 03:00:06 PM
Well they keep smashing stuff up every once in a while.  Doesn't seem like a one and done deal to me.
But policing's about choices and how you allocate funds.  So it's not enough to say, they smash things up every once in a while so we need a permanent investigating presence. 

Environmentalists in this country don't have a record of smashing stuff up, trespass, yes. 
Anarchists have a history of violence but their outbursts tend to be at predictable events.

After you've done that you've then got to justify the cost in the context of other things the police have to be investigating.  Frankly they look pretty low down on the food chain to me.  They are the shoplifters of political violence.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Do you really need such expensive investigations when you have the Eye of Sauron?
Kinemalogue

The Brain

It's important that we stop criminal organizations like Greenpeace and similar from doing their thing. It's unclear why traditional police work wouldn't be enough for this. They are not AQ.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

If you really love someone, then finding out later that they were a cop infiltrating your organization would not hinder your love. These ladies are lying.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 20, 2011, 03:08:08 PM
If you really love someone, then finding out later that they were a cop infiltrating your organization would not hinder your love. These ladies are lying.

If you really love someone, then finding out later that they were a reservoir of viral load would not hinder your love, either, I guess.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2011, 02:02:42 PM
Oh dear, that's one of the most racist things anyone said on languish, and that saying something. 

Weird, that it should come from someone so apparently 'progressive'.  :hmm:

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?