Former lovers of undercover officers sue police over deceit

Started by jimmy olsen, December 17, 2011, 04:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2011, 04:12:58 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 18, 2011, 12:32:48 PM
It does if you're a worthless, anarchist piece of shit like Martinus.

Kill all lawyers.  Kill every lawyer you see.  That's the only way to create a truly equitable society.

You say that now, but remember I am part of the thin black line that separates us from anarchy and mayhem.

And I have to say that deep undercover coppers are pretty much mythical in my practice.  I've seen a handful of files where undercover stings are utilized, but never any that went beyond a few days.  I actually have no idea what the rules are, but I'm 99% sure that they aren't supposed to have sexual relations while undercover.
Maybe you're just not trusted with that information.  :ph34r:

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2011, 05:25:22 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2011, 04:04:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2011, 03:43:49 PM
It's not a contract claim, it's a tort claim.  The existence of a promise is not an element of fraud.
"It" in this context is heartbreak.
Wrongful seduction, waste of years' worth of affection and the fact it's been undertaken by their own government = more than heartbreak.
Nope.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2011, 04:12:58 PM
You say that now, but remember I am part of the thin black line that separates us from anarchy and mayhem.
But you're also part of the black cloud whose every action is taken to maintain your position and power.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2011, 06:20:18 PM
Well, at least we're all agreed that BB is black.
His love of the outdoors has given him a pleasant tan.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 18, 2011, 06:19:38 AM
Quote from: dps on December 18, 2011, 06:18:03 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 18, 2011, 04:34:14 AM
How much immunity from normal laws do undercover cops enjoy?

In theory at least, none that I'm aware of in most U.S. jurisdictions.  In the UK?  No idea.
They have to commit some crimes to successfully infiltrate a gang though don't they? :huh:

Yeah.  That's why I said, "In theory".  Even at that, though, I don't think that technically they're immunized, but what prosecutor is going to charge them for, say, a burglury that they take part in in order to infiltrate a gang?

EDIT:  In thinking about it, even in the absense of immunity, it's probably looked at that they lack criminal intent for the acts that they commit as part of their undercove operation.

Neil

Quote from: dps on December 18, 2011, 07:14:14 PM
Yeah.  That's why I said, "In theory".  Even at that, though, I don't think that technically they're immunized, but what prosecutor is going to charge them for, say, a burglury that they take part in in order to infiltrate a gang?
I hope they don't run any operations like that in a place where idiotic left-wingers have elected a hippie district attourney.

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 17, 2011, 01:57:05 PM
something about the deception inherent in all romantic love

It certainly is often present but how is it inherent 100% of the time?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2011, 06:35:24 PM
waste of years' worth of affection

Isn't that part and parcel of heartbreak?

Nope.  Unless you consider all social interactions which end, that is, all social interactions, a waste.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2011, 09:29:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2011, 06:35:24 PM
waste of years' worth of affection

Isn't that part and parcel of heartbreak?

Nope.  Unless you consider all social interactions which end, that is, all social interactions, a waste.

I'm not sure how that can be teased apart enough to make this situation unique. There's no real way to tell how much affection became genuine - anymore than a man who sticks with someone because they make for a good lay.  If I go with what you're saying - it was only a waste because the women have chosen to view it as such. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I don't view it as particularly different from a guy who has two different families in two different states (unbeknowst to either one), and I think we can imagine how wasteful--how "inefficient"--that sort of relationship might be.  And that has criminal penalties.  Here we're only interested in civil penalties.  I think they're appropriate.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on December 19, 2011, 07:33:55 AM
I don't view it as particularly different from a guy who has two different families in two different states (unbeknowst to either one)
My great grandfather did that. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on December 19, 2011, 07:33:55 AM
I don't view it as particularly different from a guy who has two different families in two different states (unbeknowst to either one), and I think we can imagine how wasteful--how "inefficient"--that sort of relationship might be.  And that has criminal penalties.  Here we're only interested in civil penalties.  I think they're appropriate.

Again you seem to premise your position on the assumption that the granola chicks were interested in some sort of long term commitment.