Former lovers of undercover officers sue police over deceit

Started by jimmy olsen, December 17, 2011, 04:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on December 17, 2011, 06:36:21 AM
And all the libertards on the board should, after no more than a moment's consideration, be concerned about living in a world where the government can literally fuck people.
Maybe libertarians would be concerned, but I don't mind.  If you don't have enough food, the government gives you foodstamps.  Why can't it do the same thing with sex?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 17, 2011, 06:36:21 AM
And all the libertards on the board should, after no more than a moment's consideration, be concerned about living in a world where the government can literally fuck people.

When these government agents start using mind control, then people should start worrying about that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Martinus on December 17, 2011, 05:19:42 AM
There are "noted feminists" on Languish?

I thought we had a bunch of male chauvinists, a bunch of homos, a few chicks who hang out with weirdos and a small group of guys who don't actually hate women, but never noticed a feminist.

In short: Tim fails at not failing again.

I'm a noted feminist.   :)

What I think about this, I don't know... something about the deception inherent in all romantic love and the inadequacy of an overgrown idea of "consent" as the litmus test... something about it being no surprise that the state would try to exploit this incoherence to increase its surveillance of the population...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

When I read the article I didn't think that laying pipe was part of the policy, rather that during the course of their undercover work the coppers took advantage of what was offered to them.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2011, 03:59:40 PM
When I read the article I didn't think that laying pipe was part of the policy, rather that during the course of their undercover work the coppers took advantage of what was offered to them.

This.  I'd always been under the impression that "getting too close" was a pretty clear no-no in undercover work.
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2011, 03:59:40 PM

Then it's even more of a cause for a legal action then. I don't know about the US, but at least in Europe when a cop on duty causes you harm while acting outside of rules of conduct, you can sue the state.

The Brain

How much immunity from normal laws do undercover cops enjoy?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on December 18, 2011, 04:34:14 AM

In theory at least, none that I'm aware of in most U.S. jurisdictions.  In the UK?  No idea.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on December 18, 2011, 06:18:03 AM

In theory at least, none that I'm aware of in most U.S. jurisdictions.  In the UK?  No idea.
They have to commit some crimes to successfully infiltrate a gang though don't they? :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: dps on December 18, 2011, 06:18:03 AM

Dude, I've seen TV. The cops don't get charged with buying/selling sex in the prostitution undercover operations.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Yeah, I'm pretty sure undercover operators are immunized from a lot of their behavior, e.g. trafficking drugs, not to mention RICO liability.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on December 17, 2011, 05:19:42 AM
There are "noted feminists" on Languish?

I am a noted feminist on Languish.  In fact, I am the only true feminist on Languish.  And I dare any to disprove it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on December 18, 2011, 04:31:16 AM
Then it's even more of a cause for a legal action then. I don't know about the US, but at least in Europe when a cop on duty causes you harm while acting outside of rules of conduct, you can sue the state.

Yeah, sorry, don't think heartbreak qualifies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

It does if you're a worthless, anarchist piece of shit like Martinus.

Kill all lawyers.  Kill every lawyer you see.  That's the only way to create a truly equitable society.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.