Former lovers of undercover officers sue police over deceit

Started by jimmy olsen, December 17, 2011, 04:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2011, 12:19:23 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 18, 2011, 04:31:16 AM
Then it's even more of a cause for a legal action then. I don't know about the US, but at least in Europe when a cop on duty causes you harm while acting outside of rules of conduct, you can sue the state.

Yeah, sorry, don't think heartbreak qualifies.

Marty would sue for the legal enforcement of mandatory Birkenstocks.

mongers

Money you should get into this line of work, it would suit you and you're shrewd enough to play both ends against the middle.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Only if it's of a sort that would be illegal if a normal schmo did it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I don't see how heartbreak even comes into the equation.  One of the coppers shagged 3 granola chicks in 7 years.  There's no mention of false marriage promises, or false true love promises, or anything that we usually associate with heartbreak.

The basis of the plaintiffs' case seems to be that for them shagging a copper, or shagging anyone who's not sincerely comitted to their crunchy cause is so abhorent that when they found out the truth it caused them deep emotional distress.

Habbaku

Quote from: Neil on December 18, 2011, 12:32:48 PM
Kill all lawyers.  Kill every lawyer you see.  That's the only way to create a truly equitable society.

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2011, 02:51:32 PM

I don't see how heartbreak even comes into the equation.  One of the coppers shagged 3 granola chicks in 7 years.  There's no mention of false marriage promises, or false true love promises, or anything that we usually associate with heartbreak.

The basis of the plaintiffs' case seems to be that for them shagging a copper, or shagging anyone who's not sincerely comitted to their crunchy cause is so abhorent that when they found out the truth it caused them deep emotional distress.

It's not a contract claim, it's a tort claim.  The existence of a promise is not an element of fraud.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on December 18, 2011, 03:37:32 PM
Kill all lawyers.  Kill every lawyer you see.  That's the only way to create a truly equitable society.

I offer a compromise: kill half of all lawyers admitted to practice you see. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2011, 03:44:44 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 18, 2011, 03:37:32 PM

I offer a compromise: kill half of all lawyers admitted to practice you see. :)
Negative.  That just means that different bloodsuckers will be trying to destroy society.  They must all be purged for mankind to heal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2011, 03:43:49 PM
It's not a contract claim, it's a tort claim.  The existence of a promise is not an element of fraud.

"It" in this context is heartbreak.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2011, 02:51:32 PM

From what I've seen of granola chicks the copper might need to get hazard pay.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

It does if you're a worthless, anarchist piece of shit like Martinus.

You say that now, but remember I am part of the thin black line that separates us from anarchy and mayhem.

And I have to say that deep undercover coppers are pretty much mythical in my practice.  I've seen a handful of files where undercover stings are utilized, but never any that went beyond a few days.  I actually have no idea what the rules are, but I'm 99% sure that they aren't supposed to have sexual relations while undercover.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2011, 04:12:58 PM
And I have to say that deep undercover coppers are pretty much mythical in my practice.  I've seen a handful of files where undercover stings are utilized, but never any that went beyond a few days.  I actually have no idea what the rules are, but I'm 99% sure that they aren't supposed to have sexual relations while undercover.
The article says it's not allowed. They say it's 'never acceptable' and 'grossly unprofessional'.  He was more than undercover, according to the environmentalists he was with, apparently he was an agent provocateur - again, I believe, not allowed - and he's said everything he did his bosses knew about. 
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2011, 04:44:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2011, 04:12:58 PM
The article says it's not allowed. They say it's 'never acceptable' and 'grossly unprofessional'.  He was more than undercover, according to the environmentalists he was with, apparently he was an agent provocateur - again, I believe, not allowed - and he's said everything he did his bosses knew about.

Yes, I believe this is an operation fiction, they're not intelligence gathering, but are mainly agent provocateurs.

I wouldn't be entirely suprised if in a couple of years we find there weren't one or two of them involved in that student demonstration in London which trash the Tory election HQ. :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2011, 04:04:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2011, 03:43:49 PM

"It" in this context is heartbreak.

Wrongful seduction, waste of years' worth of affection and the fact it's been undertaken by their own government = more than heartbreak.
Kinemalogue