Main Menu

How Progressive Are You?

Started by Fireblade, March 12, 2009, 09:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince

Tiamat

Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 10:26:37 AM
Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 10:14:07 AM
We aren't going to find a higher density or more efficient form of energy than oil.
That's not true.  E=mc2.
Sure, fusion power plants will be feasible in fifty years, or so they said fifty years ago.

Neil

Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 10:32:23 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 10:26:37 AM
Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 10:14:07 AM
We aren't going to find a higher density or more efficient form of energy than oil.
That's not true.  E=mc2.
Sure, fusion power plants will be feasible in fifty years, or so they said fifty years ago.
I was thinking total conversion of matter to energy.

But yeah, fusion power suffers from the fact that nobody is really interested in such a difficult and expensive project.  Why would they be, when they can keep using fossil fuels, but get great press at a much cheaper cost by building a few fields full of windmills.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 10:20:34 AM
Your statement is absurd.

If greenists emerge victorious, the US economy will be crippled and the 1930s will look like progress. Solar and wind are interesting weekend hobbies. They are not an alternative to oil.

Your statement is just ignorant.

No it will not.  Those are perfectly functional energy sources and have been for years and their costs are continually going down.  Besides it is not like anybody is going to quit fossil fuels cold turkey, they will be phased out over time.  The immediate future is generating energy from several energy sources.  No "Greenist" is interested in doing anything to lessen or increase the costs of energy production, quite the contrary.  We are going to produce more energy at a cheaper cost.  Finally, oil is mostly used as fuel for vehicles you moron and does not even directly compete with solar or wind (except in a few exceptions).  Coal and natural gas are the fossil fuels that would be phased out by solar and wind,  but those fuels are only intermittent and could not do more, it appears to me, than act as a useful supplement.

Of course energy was alot cheaper in the 30s so maybe we are taking the US back there.

Further fossil fuels are massively subsidized to the tune of hundreds of billions worldwide and that does not even include the armed forces that fight and die to secure them.  If they are so superior then why do they require so much public expense and political wrangling?  I think we can do better.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tiamat

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 10:44:57 AM
... oil is mostly used as fuel for vehicles you moron and does not even directly compete with solar or wind (except in a few exceptions).  Coal and natural gas are the fossil fuels that would be phased out by solar and wind.

You moron, greenists want to use solar and wind to power our electric grid, which would charge the batteries of federally mandated electric cars.

Barrister

Only derspeiss has me beat.  <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 10:47:10 AM
You moron, greenists want to use solar and wind to power our electric grid, which would charge the batteries of federally mandated electric cars.

Ok conspiracy man.  If it is not profitable it is not happening and that is the goal: to make it work and make it make money.

We are going to transform the worlds energy production through the private sector and beat the federally subsidized fossil fuel beast.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 10:44:57 AM
... oil is mostly used as fuel for vehicles you moron and does not even directly compete with solar or wind (except in a few exceptions).  Coal and natural gas are the fossil fuels that would be phased out by solar and wind.

Who the fuck are you?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

It was really hard fanthom electricity being produce from Fossils fuels back when I learn that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

I Killed Kenny

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Tiamat

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 10:50:07 AM

Ok conspiracy man.  If it is not profitable it is not happening and that is the goal: to make it work and make it make money.

We are going to transform the worlds energy production through the private sector and beat the federally subsidized fossil fuel beast.
The only way alternative energy is going to "make money" is if the government institutes a highly regressive and unnecessary carbon tax.