News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Progressive Are You?

Started by Fireblade, March 12, 2009, 09:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireblade

Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 09:59:06 AM
I'm undoubtably the most progressive member of the board.

Genocide of lesser races is undoubtedly a progressive stance. :)

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 09:59:43 AM
215/400

Some of those things were bizarre.  Are Conservatives really convinced that Oil and Coal are great and we should NOT move to alternative fuels?

In Wyoming they sure are convinced of that...of course, the severance tax is how the state gets its money...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

ulmont

Neil

215/400

Some of those things were bizarre.  Are Conservatives really convinced that Oil and Coal are great and we should NOT move to alternative fuels?
I would imagine that would depend on what kind of alternative fuels one is talking about.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tiamat

215/400

I doubt conservatives would oppose alternative fuels if they were cheaper than oil and coal. However, that would require government subsidies to be competitive.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 10:04:30 AM
I would imagine that would depend on what kind of alternative fuels one is talking about.

So they would be in favor of giving billions to Russians and Arabs?

Conservatives are idiots when it comes to energy policy if that is really their position.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Fireblade on March 12, 2009, 09:58:46 AM
Awesome, I'm further left than the French.

Grey Fox: #25?

Question #25 : The primary responsibility of corporations is to produce profits & returns for their shareholders, not to improve society.

:bleeding:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Fireblade on March 12, 2009, 10:01:46 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 09:59:06 AM
I'm undoubtably the most progressive member of the board.

Genocide of lesser races is undoubtedly a progressive stance. :)
It certainly can be.  After all, what is the goal of progressives?  To advance, and to improve conditions.  Not every group needs to make it in order to advance.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tiamat

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 10:05:41 AM

Conservatives are idiots when it comes to energy policy if that is really their position.
They're in favor of giving billions to evil Canadians and Mexicans.  :P

The effects of global warming are exaggerated. Conservative energy policy is quite intelligent given that there is no better alternative to fossil fuels.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 10:05:41 AM

I would imagine it varies from person to person.

Besides, there's never been an American who wasn't an idiot when it came to energy policy.

Valmy

Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 10:08:18 AM

The effects of global warming are exaggerated. Conservative energy policy is quite intelligent given that there is no better alternative to fossil fuels.

Only because we have not found it yet.  Energy is the key to the economy and oil will not last forever.  A cheap energy source would be an economic bonanza of extra-ordinary proportions.  Turning your back on something so fundamentally vital because of dislike of environmentalists is moronic.  Environmentalists are not really that in favor of alternative energy, they are only allies of convenience and will turn on us if we find out nuclear or "bird killing" wind energy is part of the solution.  It is telling you throw that ridiculous canard in my face as if there is no better reason to look for alternative fuels than that when I had not even mentioned it.

Besides Mexico is running pretty low on Oil and Canada is only useful during periods of high oil prices.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 10:07:56 AM
It certainly can be.  After all, what is the goal of progressives?  To advance, and to improve conditions.  Not every group needs to make it in order to advance.
Except that one has taken an absurd stance when they talk as though it is a good idea to separate people into races.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 10:09:25 AM
I would imagine it varies from person to person.

Besides, there's never been an American who wasn't an idiot when it came to energy policy.

Well that is true.

Tiamat

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 10:10:32 AM
Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 10:08:18 AM

Only because we have not found it yet.

Mexico is running pretty low on Oil and Canada is only useful during periods of high oil prices.
There is no other option. We aren't going to find a higher density or more efficient form of energy than oil.

Canada is the #1 source of oil for the US, and Mexico is a close 3rd to Saudi Arabia. These countries are useful in general, not only during periods of high oil prices.