Canada to join Talebans in enforcing dress code on women

Started by viper37, December 13, 2011, 03:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2011, 01:33:12 AM
Fausse equivalence.

A l'ecole, elle passe chaque jour devoile.  Ici, elle replace le niqab sur le moment le ceremonie est terminee.  1000 heures > 1 heure.

("Devoile" might not be the right word, although literally it should be.  I am learning your Taliban ways.)
Non, elle entre en classe, elle se dévoile.  Comme on enlève sa casquette ou sa tuque en entrant en classe.  En sortant de la classe, elle remet son voile, comme on remet sa casquette ou sa tuque.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2011, 09:25:54 AM
Also, viper is going to be pissed, since royals are visiting Canada again for the 60th aniversary of our Queen.
don't care about visits.  I feel the same as if Lady Gaga was visiting us and waving her hand for her millions of worshippers.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2011, 11:30:29 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 11:21:51 AM
Most important is the niqab/burqa  double standard. Even in a non secular and "multiculturalist" state such as Canada.
Québec got it right from the beginning.

I don't get why it is a "double standard" to require people to have their faces uncovered when necessary for purposes of identification, but not otherwise.  :hmm:
Get in class, remove the veil as you remove any cap or hat.  Get out of class, put the veil back on as you would with any cap or hat.
Get in the room, remove the veil for the duration of the ceromony, swear your oath, leave and put the veil back on.

HVC

One takes off their cap as a show of respect and modesty in western culture. Keeping a veil on is a show of respect and modesty in theirs. So it's not the same.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2011, 12:05:27 PM
One takes off their cap as a show of respect and modesty in western culture. Keeping a veil on is a show of respect and modesty in theirs. So it's not the same.

Fuck their culture, they ran away from it afterall.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on December 14, 2011, 12:02:22 PM
Get in class, remove the veil as you remove any cap or hat.  Get out of class, put the veil back on as you would with any cap or hat.
Get in the room, remove the veil for the duration of the ceromony, swear your oath, leave and put the veil back on.

It's not functionally the same. There is no particular functional reason why people remove caps or hats indoors. There is a functional reason why one wants to know who is swearing an oath.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 14, 2011, 12:06:37 PM

butwhy does it bother you that they wear a veil? Does it effect you in any way? i get, and agree with, making them show their face to identify themselves, but beyond that what's the point?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on December 14, 2011, 12:02:22 PM
:lmfao:  Quebec seriously has a law that requires people to remove their hats or caps in class?

Wow.  :huh:

Does the law also mandate which presents can and cannot be given on birthdays?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2011, 12:12:44 PM

butwhy does it bother you that they wear a veil? Does it effect you in any way? i get, and agree with, making them show their face to identify themselves, but beyond that what's the point?

Because it is a slap in the face of my culture, you know the one they desperately needed to join?

Also, I disapprove of expressive religiousness that is not from tradition.

Razgovory

Pft.  People slap my culture in the face all the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2011, 12:43:07 PM
Pft.  People slap my culture in the face all the time.

People do that to my culture everytime beans are put in chili :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 14, 2011, 12:35:28 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2011, 12:12:44 PM

Because it is a slap in the face of my culture, you know the one they desperately needed to join?

Also, I disapprove of expressive religiousness that is not from tradition.

I guess that's why it doesn't bother me - what's the "culture" of Toronto anyway, other than a buncha banks?  :D

People don't come here because of our fine tradition of hat-doffing, but to make money and live their lives without excessive hassle.

Making up unnecessary laws just adds to people's hassles. My notion is: I don't tell them what to wear, and I reserve the right to ignore them if they attempt to tell me what to wear.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2011, 01:15:49 PM
I guess that's why it doesn't bother me - what's the "culture" of Toronto anyway, other than a buncha banks?  :D

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2011, 01:20:32 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2011, 01:15:49 PM

Okay, banks and losing at hockey.  :D