Canada to join Talebans in enforcing dress code on women

Started by viper37, December 13, 2011, 03:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2011, 09:25:54 AM
Also, viper is going to be pissed, since royals are visiting Canada again for the 60th aniversary of our Queen.

Just 34 years to go to break Pepi II's 4,000 year old record.

And they said it would never be broken.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Also, viper is going to be pissed, since royals are visiting Canada again for the 60th aniversary of our Queen.

Did you order your 5 free prints of the Official Queen portrait?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 14, 2011, 09:35:23 AM

Did you order your 5 free prints of the Official Queen portrait?
i already have several in my wallet, don't need more :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 08:28:51 AM
Hence not Canadian ergo foreign monarch. I take it she's British though ;)
:lol:  No such thing as a "foreign monarch" of a country.  She's no more British than Canadian.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: grumbler on December 14, 2011, 09:59:10 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 08:28:51 AM
Hence not Canadian ergo foreign monarch. I take it she's British though ;)
:lol:  No such thing as a "foreign monarch" of a country.  She's no more British than Canadian.

I beg to differ. After all, she does get CAP money unlike Canadians ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 10:26:36 AM

Canadians who own farms in Europe do not get CAP money?

But just like Canadians she cannot vote in UK elections.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 08:59:40 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2011, 08:58:15 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 08:55:16 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2011, 08:44:01 AM
L'État c'est elle, so to speak.

Only works for absolute monarchies, not for figure heads, veiled or not.
Nope.
Elaborate.

Neil could perhaps give a better explanation if it's something he's interested in, but in the Westminster system the concept of the state is synonymous with the monarchy.  In court I don't represent the Province of Alberta - I represent The Queen In Right of Alberta.

It is because our system did start out as an absolute monarchy, but obviously has evolved over the centuries.  But those legal fictions remain.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2011, 10:27:18 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 10:26:36 AM

Canadians who own farms in Europe do not get CAP money?

But just like Canadians she cannot vote in UK elections.

As much as her ? Besides, I doubt their numbers are significant.
Are you sure about Canadians? Often former colonies get a special treatment, like EU citizens for local elections without being a national of the country in question.

Wikipedia says they can. I'm sure Brits can confirm or infirm it
QuoteUnited Kingdom

(CN and EU member) Since 1949, the United Kingdom, citizens of the Commonwealth countries and of the Republic of Ireland have had full voting rights at all levels and can be candidates, as they could before 1949 as British subjects; they are not regarded in law as foreigners.[2][8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote#United_Kingdom

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 10:57:09 AM
Are you sure about Canadians? Often former colonies get a special treatment, like EU citizens for local elections without being a national of the country in question.

Well dang.  Canadians are more British than Queen Victoria.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2011, 11:01:14 AM

If being more British means having more voting rights than her, then EU nationals are also more British than Her Gracious Majesty.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2011, 11:01:14 AM

:bowler:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2011, 10:42:53 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 08:59:40 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2011, 08:58:15 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 08:55:16 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2011, 08:44:01 AM
L'État c'est elle, so to speak.

Only works for absolute monarchies, not for figure heads, veiled or not.
Nope.
Elaborate.

Neil could perhaps give a better explanation if it's something he's interested in, but in the Westminster system the concept of the state is synonymous with the monarchy.  In court I don't represent the Province of Alberta - I represent The Queen In Right of Alberta.

It is because our system did start out as an absolute monarchy, but obviously has evolved over the centuries.  But those legal fictions remain.

Point taken about the legal fictions remaining. It says it all.

Most important is the niqab/burqa  double standard. Even in a non secular and "multiculturalist" state such as Canada.
Québec got it right from the beginning.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 11:21:51 AM
Point taken about the legal fictions remaining. It says it all.

It says that it is no longer a monarchy in any functional sense.  So who cares?  The Queen is a mascot nothing more.

Malthus

Most important is the niqab/burqa  double standard. Even in a non secular and "multiculturalist" state such as Canada.

I don't get why it is a "double standard" to require people to have their faces uncovered when necessary for purposes of identification, but not otherwise.  :hmm:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2011, 11:30:29 AM

I don't get why it is a "double standard" to require people to have their faces uncovered when necessary for purposes of identification, but not otherwise.  :hmm:

Duque has spent too much time in France. He's been corrupted :P