News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

On Saturday I pinched a nerve or something in my back which means any stride faster or longer than a slow mince, an overly-rapid change of direction, turning over in bed or, in fact, pretty much anything, causes my back muscles to go into agonising spasm. I am: unfit for purpose.

merithyn

:hug:

Heating pad and anti-inflammatories?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on October 03, 2012, 06:52:05 AM
On Saturday I pinched a nerve or something in my back which means any stride faster or longer than a slow mince, an overly-rapid change of direction, turning over in bed or, in fact, pretty much anything, causes my back muscles to go into agonising spasm. I am: unfit for purpose.

Welcome to the 45 and over club my dear.

Apply ice packs to the area of the spasm and then once things calm down do some stretching.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 12:29:25 PM

Apply ice packs to the area of the spasm and then once things calm down do some stretching.

Heh, you, me, Tricky and Brazen should form that; we could then have an offical platform from which to complain about the young'uns on the forum.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Brazen

Quote from: mongers on October 03, 2012, 12:47:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 12:29:25 PM

Heh, you, me, Tricky and Brazen should form that; we could then have an offical platform from which to complain about the young'uns on the forum.
Hey that invite-only "Mature Languishites" forum is excellent, what a great idea! Large font too!

Turns out I've developed an intolerance to my painkiller of choice, ibuprofen, and that was making me feel even worse and stopping me sleeping.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Definitely hit a plateau, popped out to do some shopping late yesterday evening, did about 42km and since there was only a handful of hills, didn't really do much puffing at all.
So I suspect 2 1/4 hours of consistent, but moderate cardiovascular exercise probably doesn't benefit me much at all. 

merithyn

That's impressive! Well done, Mongers!

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 05, 2012, 01:45:36 PM
That's impressive! Well done, Mongers!

Thanks. :cheers:

Popped out this afternoon to have another go at my '4 points of the compass challenge'; the idea is to do four separate bikes from home, aiming to go in the 4 directions of the compass and ride the maximum minutes of latitude and longitude.
And in the process clock up a good mileage, each time you do it, aim to gradually extend the distances you do, building your endurance/confidence with the benefit that you'll never be more than 10/15 miles from home if anything goes wrong.

This time I did 108 km in a little under 4.75 hours.
I traversed 12.30 minutes of latitude and went back and forth across 15.36 minutes of longitude (hint this is easier for me to do than you USAians as I live at 50 degrees north :cool: )

Next time, enough daylight being available I aim to get near to 100 miles.

merithyn

My first 5k is in two weeks. I haven't run in three. :ph34r:

This could end badly for me.

Brazen

A friend of mine has just finished cycling solo from Land's End to Job O' Groats (874 miles) in 12 days. Comer on Mongers, up your game :P

Brazen

Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 10:25:13 AM
My first 5k is in two weeks. I haven't run in three. :ph34r:

This could end badly for me.
If you've done 4k or more in training, you'll do fine. If you're not injured, run this weekend. Pick your own pace and stick to it, walk if you need to, you'll get there :hug:

Josquius

I'm failing, haven't been to the gym this week, sure, I have a lot of valid excuses- super sick for 2 days, 14km hike the next day, trouble walking and broken bike since then. But still....the shame, the shame.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Ran Saturday and again today. I managed to run a full mile - very s.l.o.w.l.y. - without stopping today, too! Sounds ridiculous - I should have been able to do that ages ago - but I'm considering it progress.

The 5k in two weeks will have to be a run/walk endeavor, but I'm okay with that. It's a start. :)

Eddie Teach

Been sitting around the house eating chips and drinking soda.  :Embarrass:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?