News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Well, my friend finally got around to helping me join the gym last night.
Didnt do much as it was late, 5km cycling, 10 minute mile, trying to use the weight machines probally in such a way that will give me an injury, etc...
Have been reading up on what I should be doing. Apparently steak is good for you!?!? Who knew....
The plan is to try and get there right after school most days before I have time to vegetate.
Hopefully it will lead to getting in shape and being able to sleep before midnight.
Worst case: I die.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I've probably worked out as much this week as I had the previous three months.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

I'm so confused. My weight hasn't moved at all this month. If anything, I seem to have gained a pound. Just the same, I've lost another jean size.

So to sum up my "weight-loss journey", I've lost all of 15 pounds over the course of the last five months, but lost two full jeans sizes. I'm noticeably less jiggly, considerably more muscular, and my running is getting easier. But minimal actual weight loss. It's very confusing.... This has never happened to me before when I've tried to lose weight. Usually, I, you know, lose weight, as well as sizes.

Can't figure out what's different.  :hmm:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on September 07, 2012, 12:58:05 PM
I'm so confused. My weight hasn't moved at all this month. If anything, I seem to have gained a pound. Just the same, I've lost another jean size.

You have probably reached the point where your weight loss in fat is becoming counter balanced by muscle gain.  ie you have arrived!

Now progress is best kept in terms of body demensions and body fat percentage.  But it is probably going to get a lot easier from here on in as your increased muscle take up the work of burning more and more of the fact and calories.

merithyn

Hmm. Given that I'm still eating at a deficit, I'm not sure that I'm able to build muscle. Right? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on September 07, 2012, 01:22:36 PM
Hmm. Given that I'm still eating at a deficit, I'm not sure that I'm able to build muscle. Right? :unsure:

Probably, but not necessarily. Most bodybuilders go in a gain-cut cycle. But you can build muscle while losing fat. It's just much slower.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 07, 2012, 02:40:01 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 07, 2012, 01:22:36 PM

Probably, but not necessarily. Most bodybuilders go in a gain-cut cycle. But you can build muscle while losing fat. It's just much slower.

Yep, you can build muscle so long as you exercise.  Much of the muscle you are building will not be apparent but if you are eating right and exercising you cannot help but build muscle. 

mongers

Not doing much exercise, still trying to put on weight, but stuck at 10 stone 12 lbs.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Haven't gymmed for the last 2 days, gonna go tonight...but I notice I'm all achy and stiff everywhere even after a big rest. Hope this doesnt last.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Played some ball for the first time in years last night.  It felt great.  I am now very sore.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Had a nice pootle, this evening, to one of my favourite iron age hillforts, nice Dorset countryside and a pleasant sunny 55km round trip.  :)

Iormlund

Being back home, I finally went to the gym for the first time in weeks. Felt awesome.

MadImmortalMan

I'll drop this here.

Short, intense bursts of exercise could be better for our health than longer intervals

The ability of the body to deal with fat following a high-fat meal is a marker for the likelihood that a person will develop CVD in the future. The faster the body is able to get rid of the fat in the blood following a high-fat meal, the less at risk that person is of developing CVD - for example atherosclerosis, which is the build up of fat within the blood vessels.

A study led by Dr Stuart Gray, from the University of Aberdeen's Musculoskeletal Research Programme asked participants to undertake 2.5 minutes of high-intensity exercise - 5 x 30 second sprints exerting themselves to their maximum ability with 4 minutes of rest between each sprint - before eating a high-fat meal.

Findings of the study—published in Clinical Science—showed the fat content in the blood of these participants after that meal was reduced by 33% compared to if they had not undertaken any exercise.

The fat content in the blood is only reduced by 11% if a moderate intensity exercise session - 30 minutes of brisk walking - is undertaken before the same meal is eaten.

Dr Gray said: "Although moderate intensity, longer sessions of exercise can help protect the body against CVD, the findings of our study showed that high-intensity shorter intervals of exercise might be a more effective method to improve health and reduce the time commitment to exercise. "This is highly important as time is often cited as the main barrier to taking part in exercise.

"We are now investigating how long the benefits of a short high-intensity exercise session last on the body to analyse how frequently a person should exercise at this level to help protect the body against CVD. Our initial findings suggest that this type of exercise session would need to be undertaken on most days of the week to maintain the associated health benefits for the body."

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 14, 2012, 04:44:41 PM
I'll drop this here.

Short, intense bursts of exercise could be better for our health than longer intervals

The ability of the body to deal with fat following a high-fat meal is a marker for the likelihood that a person will develop CVD in the future. The faster the body is able to get rid of the fat in the blood following a high-fat meal, the less at risk that person is of developing CVD - for example atherosclerosis, which is the build up of fat within the blood vessels.

A study led by Dr Stuart Gray, from the University of Aberdeen's Musculoskeletal Research Programme asked participants to undertake 2.5 minutes of high-intensity exercise - 5 x 30 second sprints exerting themselves to their maximum ability with 4 minutes of rest between each sprint - before eating a high-fat meal.

Findings of the study—published in Clinical Science—showed the fat content in the blood of these participants after that meal was reduced by 33% compared to if they had not undertaken any exercise.

The fat content in the blood is only reduced by 11% if a moderate intensity exercise session - 30 minutes of brisk walking - is undertaken before the same meal is eaten.

Dr Gray said: "Although moderate intensity, longer sessions of exercise can help protect the body against CVD, the findings of our study showed that high-intensity shorter intervals of exercise might be a more effective method to improve health and reduce the time commitment to exercise. "This is highly important as time is often cited as the main barrier to taking part in exercise.

"We are now investigating how long the benefits of a short high-intensity exercise session last on the body to analyse how frequently a person should exercise at this level to help protect the body against CVD. Our initial findings suggest that this type of exercise session would need to be undertaken on most days of the week to maintain the associated health benefits for the body."

What proportion of the adult population is able to perform several high intensity 30 second sprints ?