News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Was out the evening before last and on my way home through the forest, a kitted up cyclist on a road bike, joined my route from a side road; took a while for him to catch up to me, and as he passed me, he complimented me on the pace I was keeping up, what with me in jeans/t-shirt on my one speed sit up and beg shopping bike, I felt a tinge of pride.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Not too long before some starts a Fitness 2013 thread; I wonder how our individual fitness will compare with any targets set at the start of this year ?

Josquius

I wonder how many weight lifts one has to do to get an effect. I've heard no pain no gain before but that seems silly and I've also read its wrong..plus I don't want to totally kill myself as it messes up the rest of my life if I can't walk right. hmm...
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on September 21, 2012, 08:55:38 PM
I wonder how many weight lifts one has to do to get an effect. I've heard no pain no gain before but that seems silly and I've also read its wrong..plus I don't want to totally kill myself as it messes up the rest of my life if I can't walk right. hmm...

I suggest you get some qualified/professional advice regarding that equipment.

Iormlund

The pain thing is relative. You don't need to try so hard you injure yourself. You do, however, need to push beyond what your muscles can do for your body to conclude it needs to build up some more. Proper technique is also important to avoid damaging stuff.

In any case, how easily you bulk up depends a lot on your genes. Some people find it very hard to gain volume. Others (like me) can do so with light loads.

Quote from: mongers on September 21, 2012, 07:19:59 PM
Not too long before some starts a Fitness 2013 thread; I wonder how our individual fitness will compare with any targets set at the start of this year ?

I'm in the best shape I've been in 15 years. :)

Maladict

I'm in the worst shape in years.  :(

Jaron

Quote from: Iormlund on September 22, 2012, 05:59:43 AM

The pain thing is relative. You don't need to try so hard you injure yourself. You do, however, need to push beyond what your muscles can do for your body to conclude it needs to build up some more. Proper technique is also important to avoid damaging stuff.

In any case, how easily you bulk up depends a lot on your genes. Some people find it very hard to gain volume. Others (like me) can do so with light loads.

Quote from: mongers on September 21, 2012, 07:19:59 PM

I'm in the best shape I've been in 15 years. :)

How can you do this?!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Well I'm certainly not as fit as I was 20 years ago, simply a function of age and lost muscle mass, but I probably a bit fitter than I'd otherwise think; yesterday riding my little wheeled folding bike, I overtook some guys on road bike going up a steep hill.  :)

Eddie Teach

It was the best of shapes, it was the worst of shapes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Totally fallen off the wagon lately with my food. Just can't bring myself to care much, either. Still running, though, and have signed up for two 5k runs in October. I may not lose weight with my diet, but I'm certainly not going to gain any with my running. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Belts no longer do.  Had to have the waist on my suits taken in and I need to get new casual wear.

This fitness thing is damned expensive.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 24, 2012, 11:17:43 AM
Belts no longer do.  Had to have the waist on my suits taken in and I need to get new casual wear.

This fitness thing is damned expensive.

:thumbsup:

Though being unfit can in turn be very costly.

mongers

Late this afternoon, got talking to a cyclist in the local bike shop, he was advocating doing interval training on a static bike for up to an hour and saying the only way to make it really work was to end up feeling nearly physically sick. 
Which was odd, because we discussing ways to encourage ordinary people to get on a bike and get fitter; I don't think 'fitness=puking your guts out', is a very catchy angle to emphasis.

Not that I'm saying he's wrong, just that I get on a bike, in whatever I happen to be wearing, and go somewhere, have a ride out.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on September 24, 2012, 07:23:30 PM
Late this afternoon, got talking to a cyclist in the local bike shop, he was advocating doing interval training on a static bike for up to an hour and saying the only way to make it really work was to end up feeling nearly physically sick. 
Which was odd, because we discussing ways to encourage ordinary people to get on a bike and get fitter; I don't think 'fitness=puking your guts out', is a very catchy angle to emphasis.

Not that I'm saying he's wrong, just that I get on a bike, in whatever I happen to be wearing, and go somewhere, have a ride out.

He's right. One hour is probably not enough, though.