News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Did the usual, though the ride is unusual of late.

I apparently was passed by the Tour de France Peloton - about 50 riders shot by me.  Before I made the turn around they were coming back.  Really, is that needed?  They were blocking one whole side of the county road (which has a nice wide bike lane to the right.

There needs to be a 90 year old lady in a caddy to come through and clear that up.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

As of this moment, in all of my clothes (jeans, shoes, sweater, and all), on my work scale, I am no longer obese.  :showoff:

My BMI is now 29.7. Go, fucking, me.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maladict

Quote from: merithyn on August 24, 2012, 11:55:26 AM
As of this moment, in all of my clothes (jeans, shoes, sweater, and all), on my work scale, I am no longer obese.  :showoff:

:thumbsup:

Cecil

To work around my knee problems I started to use the barefoot running style. Though early as yet it seems to be a lot more forgiving but ouch my poor calves.....its going to take a while getting used to this.

mongers

:cool:

Go girl.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

BMI DOESN'T MATTER.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 24, 2012, 12:39:03 PM

BMI DOESN'T MATTER.  :P

It matters on my fucking work insurance. :contract: :ultra:  <_<

crazy canuck

Quote from: Cecil on August 24, 2012, 12:13:28 PM
To work around my knee problems I started to use the barefoot running style. Though early as yet it seems to be a lot more forgiving but ouch my poor calves.....its going to take a while getting used to this.

Yeah, if you can run properly - ie on the balls of your feet and not on your heels, not only will you run faster but you will do so with a lot less effort.  It will take your muscles some time to adjust but keep at it.   The thing that makes it so much easier on your knees is that you are now engaging the spring in your achilles tendon.  That makes all the difference.

The fact that your calves are aching means you are doing it right.  Just dont over do it in the first few weeks.  And try icing your ankles while they are getting used to the new demands on the joint.

Legbiter

Quote from: Cecil on August 24, 2012, 12:13:28 PM

When I starting using Vibram fivefingers I had to practically learn to walk again. It was almost as if I had spent my life with both feet in a cast. Now I sprint barefoot once a week. Easy does it and it'll take a few weeks for your tendons, ligaments and muscles to get stronger but the payoff is immense.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

merithyn

As of this week, I've lost 8% of my body weight since April.  :showoff:

At a bit of a standstill for the moment, but I put that down to an erratic exercise schedule. Time to get back on track. I've determined that I do much better if I go to the gym every day than if I only try to go a few times a week. So, that'll be the goal for the next month. We'll see how it works out.

Valmy

QuoteAs of this week, I've lost 8% of my body weight since April. 

At a bit of a standstill for the moment, but I put that down to an erratic exercise schedule. Time to get back on track. I've determined that I do much better if I go to the gym every day than if I only try to go a few times a week. So, that'll be the goal for the next month. We'll see how it works out.

:yeah:

I am going to start working out in the morning once my wife goes back to work in October and I no longer have to take David to day care.  I really need to lose all this weight I gained during my wife's last pregnancy  :blush:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2012, 08:57:36 AM
QuoteAs of this week, I've lost 8% of my body weight since April. 

:yeah:

I am going to start working out in the morning once my wife goes back to work in October and I no longer have to take David to day care.  I really need to lose all this weight I gained during my wife's last pregnancy  :blush:

You sure it isn't your turn to be pregnant ? :unsure:

mongers

Not doing a lot of exercise at the moment; I don;t think I've gotten out of breath/puffed on my bike in weeks.

mongers

It got warm again in Southern England so I'm not doing much, still; popped out for a spin around the forest this evening, still above 70 when I got back at 9 pm.

A pleasant little 15-16 mile spin around an all but empty forest, saw just one other cyclist and about 5 cars; why don't more people use this 350 sq.miles of national park of an evening.

Iormlund

Working 14 hours a day: no exercise for the last few weeks. Going back to the gym is going to hurt.  :pinch: