Main Menu

Weird British culture?

Started by Josquius, December 09, 2011, 01:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: HVC on December 13, 2011, 11:17:30 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 13, 2011, 10:57:35 AM
Steak and kidney pie is one of my favourite meals  :cool:

But I have to agree with the non-British posters, the UK is one of the worst countries in the world to walk into a random restaurant and expect good food.

Is the phrase " i'd put my steak up to my kidneys in her pie" used in england? if not it should be.

His whole lower body? :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on December 13, 2011, 11:30:26 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 13, 2011, 11:17:30 AM
Steak and kidney pie is one of my favourite meals  :cool:

But I have to agree with the non-British posters, the UK is one of the worst countries in the world to walk into a random restaurant and expect good food.

Is the phrase " i'd put my steak up to my kidneys in her pie" used in england? if not it should be.

His whole lower body? :x
lol . i was thinking more "twig and two berries" like metaphor then an anatomically accurate description.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Brazen

How about the fact we say sorry for everything even when it's not our fault or when we actually mean excuse me. Sorry, can I just squeeze past you before I miss my train. Sorry, I think you just stood on my foot, etc.

HVC

So that's where canadians get it from. Everyone thinks we're polite, but meanwhile we're thinking "get out of my way, asshole"
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Brazen on December 13, 2011, 12:26:59 PM
How about the fact we say sorry for everything even when it's not our fault or when we actually mean excuse me. Sorry, can I just squeeze past you before I miss my train. Sorry, I think you just stood on my foot, etc.

Well, if you think about it, saying "excuse me" is the same thing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 12:40:39 PM
Americans do that.

I've never said sorry like that although I have said excuse me in an apologetic tone.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 13, 2011, 12:41:39 PM
Quote from: Brazen on December 13, 2011, 12:26:59 PM

Well, if you think about it, saying "excuse me" is the same thing.

:yes:

PJL

Quote from: Tyr on December 13, 2011, 10:24:19 AM
Ah British food bashing.
That old cliche never gets old...it has always been old.
British food whilst not up there with Italian and other true foody nations is certainly one of the better cuisines. Britain makes the best pie in the world, the best sausages in the world and has quite  a few great dishes.

Quite, had a Bratwurst the other day at a German christmas marker, and was distinctly unimpressed with it. GIve me a Gloucester Old Spot any day, now that has real flavour unlike the bland Bratwurst.

So save us from the Euro-sauage Jim Hacker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIYP1ibYdZI

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on December 13, 2011, 10:24:19 AM
Ah British food bashing.
That old cliche never gets old...it has always been old.
British food whilst not up there with Italian and other true foody nations is certainly one of the better cuisines. Britain makes the best pie in the world, the best sausages in the world and has quite  a few great dishes.
Not that I have firsthand experience in the UK, but I figure it's similar to US&Canada where good food is available, but a premium price, unlike places like Quebec, Belgium or France where you can get very decent everyday food in any small place.

The only thing I hear about London's restaurants are the smoker's cage where even smokers have trouble breathing.  They may not be anymore in use though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 13, 2011, 10:19:32 AM
In my experience, amusement park food has generally tasted just fine, but overpriced.

I agree, in general, but amusement park pizza tends to be pretty bad for some reason.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: dps on December 13, 2011, 05:34:46 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 13, 2011, 10:19:32 AM
In my experience, amusement park food has generally tasted just fine, but overpriced.

I agree, in general, but amusement park pizza tends to be pretty bad for some reason.

Bowling alley pizza has always seemed to be the worst to me.  Except up here in Boston, actually, where you get "bar pizza," which is kind of it's own entity.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

I don't think British food is bad.  But we don't have the reliably good bourgeois restaurants that exist in the continent which is a shame.  That's probably why mid-market chains do so well.

But there's still lots of good reasonably priced English food out there - pubs are very hit and miss but sometimes get it right - but it does require local knowledge or recommendations, rather unfortunately.

Obviously there's also very good very expensive food.  Like the steaks at Hawksmoor which is why every tourist should go there and none should go to the Aberdeen Steak House :bleeding:

In terms of British food I'm with Valmy, I love haggis and black pudding.  Also I think that English puddings and desserts are better than any others in the world.

QuoteThere *is* good British food. It is known as Indian food.  :D
This is very true.  But again you're best with a recommendation.  There's a lot of oily unpalatable Indian food out there.
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 13, 2011, 05:53:46 PM
I don't think British food is bad. 

One of my best experiences visiting London (other than meeting up with Sheilbh, of course  :sleep:) was walking into a random cafe/caff full of pensioners to drink milky tea, eat black pudding and beans on toast, and puff away on Mayfairs.  It felt quintessentially British.   :bowler:

I've liked all the specifically British foods I've tried.  Yorkshire pudding.  :mmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 06:23:26 PM
One of my best experiences visiting London (other than meeting up with Sheilbh, of course  :sleep:) was walking into a random cafe/caff full of pensioners to drink milky tea, eat black pudding and beans on toast, and puff away on Mayfairs.  It felt quintessentially British.   :bowler:

Then hurry off to the work house before they close up for the night.