Main Menu

Weird British culture?

Started by Josquius, December 09, 2011, 01:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 13, 2011, 10:19:49 AM
I have to admit I really like haggis though  :blush:

:huh:

Well, it was fine, certainly entirely edible, but nothing to write home about.  But to each their own.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Ah British food bashing.
That old cliche never gets old...it has always been old.
British food whilst not up there with Italian and other true foody nations is certainly one of the better cuisines. Britain makes the best pie in the world, the best sausages in the world and has quite  a few great dishes.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Britain makes pecan pie? And polish sausage?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on December 13, 2011, 10:24:19 AM
Ah British food bashing.
British food whilst not up there with Italian and other true foody nations is certainly one of the better cuisines. Britain makes the best pie in the world, the best sausages in the world and has quite  a few great dishes.

I won't say that you can't get good food in Britain.  Youc an get good food just about aywhere, just like bad food.

But if you're going to judge a country by the quality of food you get in vaguely tourists spots (which is of course the kind of places I tend to find while travelling) Britain is pretty much at the bottom of the list.  Well, going by a sample size of one meal Lichtenstein would be even lower, but other than that I enjoyed the food more in Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary.  And of course Italy was in a whole different world in and of itself.

Not that the British food was terrible.  I never saw something I couldn't eat.  It was just very bland and unremarkable.

With the noticeable exception, as mentioned, of your Indian restaurants.  That was some good stuff.

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on December 13, 2011, 10:24:19 AM
Ah British food bashing.

Put flavor in your food then :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 10:23:45 AM
:huh:

Well, it was fine, certainly entirely edible, but nothing to write home about.  But to each their own.

It could have just been the batch I had.  I just remember being very surprised about how much I liked it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Squeeze: are you talking about meat pies?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Sorry but British food really isn't that lovely. I spent my days eating Indian, Chinese and Italian food. Well the British interpretations. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Steak and kidney pie is one of my favourite meals  :cool:

But I have to agree with the non-British posters, the UK is one of the worst countries in the world to walk into a random restaurant and expect good food.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 13, 2011, 10:57:35 AM

But I have to agree with the non-British posters, the UK is one of the worst countries in the world to walk into a random restaurant and expect good food.

I don't know about one of my favourite meals, but I always enjoy a good steak and kidney pie.  :bowler:

Richard Hakluyt

I'm talking about the ones my wife makes Beeb, much better than the ones in the pub  :bowler:

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 13, 2011, 11:01:10 AM
I'm talking about the ones my wife makes Beeb, much better than the ones in the pub  :bowler:

:mmm:  I'm sure.

HVC

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 13, 2011, 10:57:35 AM

Is the phrase " i'd put my steak up to my kidneys in her pie" used in england? if not it should be.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.