News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Economic Graphs of 2011

Started by Sheilbh, December 13, 2011, 08:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-16090055
I found these weirdly interesting.  The Kenneth Rogoff one gives me another reason to love the welfare state, social democratic post-war moment.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Rogoff is a great source.

The first graph of interest rates before during and after the euro is a good demonstration of how interest rates are still historically really low. Even Greece is several points lower than it was in the 90s.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

There are some excellent graphs in the selection, taken just by themselves they explain a lot about the bad situation we are in.

Zanza

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 13, 2011, 09:47:32 PMThe first graph of interest rates before during and after the euro is a good demonstration of how interest rates are still historically really low. Even Greece is several points lower than it was in the 90s.
As far as I can tell, the graph just shows the nominal interest rate, which doesn't say much. Greece had double digit inflation rates before the Euro, so their real interest rate was not very high, maybe 3-5%. Nowadays, they have a deflation and have to pay 12% interest, meaning their real interest rate is extremely high and completely unsustainable.