News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Does anyone do any mountaineering?

Started by alfred russel, December 07, 2011, 06:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on December 08, 2011, 06:57:50 AM
Need some batteries for your irony detector?
Mono is like an alien to me. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 08, 2011, 02:29:37 AM
Hmmm................Kilimanjaro is a straightforward walk but is 19341 feet high. It might be a good starter for you, as it would enable you to find out your susceptibility to altitude sickness and whatnot before trying more remote peaks with less back up.

Kilimanjaro was actually the type of peak I was hoping to build up to, not a starting point.  :blush:

This summer I was thinking Pikes Peak or Mont Blanc or something similar to see how I do first.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Brazen on December 08, 2011, 05:27:17 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2011, 10:32:39 PM
Do you guys go by yourself?
That's a great idea so long as you bring a really sharp hobby knife to cut your arm off when it gets trapped.

Which is a good point. Always have a friend around that can cut your arm off for you.

But to those that climb with companions, how do you find these people? "I have an idea, lets go to Tanzania and climb Kilimanjaro" isn't likely to get many positive responses.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on December 08, 2011, 08:26:06 AM
But to those that climb with companions, how do you find these people? "I have an idea, lets go to Tanzania and climb Kilimanjaro" isn't likely to get many positive responses.

In the movies it's always one yuppie who's sold out his soul and his college buddy fuckup.  :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2011, 08:28:56 AM

In the movies it's always one yuppie who's sold out his soul and his college buddy fuckup.  :)

I would be the yuppie who sold his soul, but by this time the booze and smokes have taken their toll on the college buddy fuckups.  :(

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: alfred russel on December 08, 2011, 08:21:22 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 08, 2011, 02:29:37 AM
Hmmm................Kilimanjaro is a straightforward walk but is 19341 feet high. It might be a good starter for you, as it would enable you to find out your susceptibility to altitude sickness and whatnot before trying more remote peaks with less back up.

Kilimanjaro was actually the type of peak I was hoping to build up to, not a starting point.  :blush:

This summer I was thinking Pikes Peak or Mont Blanc or something similar to see how I do first.

I believe Mont Blanc is more difficult than Kilimanjaro if you go all the way to the top, not sure  :hmm:

Certainly the Alps have a huge range of hiking trails and easy ascents that are also near comfy hotels and whatnot.

Zanza

Mont Blanc requires serious climbing skills and equipment. I don't think that's for the casual mountaineer. It's also snow-topped year round.

Barrister

Quote from: Brazen on December 08, 2011, 05:27:17 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2011, 10:32:39 PM
Do you guys go by yourself?
That's a great idea so long as you bring a really sharp hobby knife to cut your arm off when it gets trapped.

Which is a good point. Always have a friend around that can cut your arm off for you.

WHen I lived in Calgary it wasn't difficult to find people to go hiking with. :huh:

I usually go with my brother - he also likes to go hiking, and he was my companion on the Chilkoot.  He keeps wanting me to go with him on some back country trails near Banff.  Now that I'm back in Alberta, maybe I'll be able to do it. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on December 08, 2011, 09:24:55 AM
Mont Blanc requires serious climbing skills and equipment. I don't think that's for the casual mountaineer. It's also snow-topped year round.

From the little reading I've done, it requires skills that can be easily acquired with a guide with a day or two of instruction/practice before going for the climb.

Maybe that isn't a good place to start, but what really worries me is the altitude. I'd rather have a more strenuous climb for 15k to get ready for 20k.

QuoteWHen I lived in Calgary it wasn't difficult to find people to go hiking with.

But this isn't really the same thing. We are talking about a significant investment of money and vacation time, for starters.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on December 08, 2011, 10:06:54 AM
Quote from: Zanza on December 08, 2011, 09:24:55 AM

From the little reading I've done, it requires skills that can be easily acquired with a guide with a day or two of instruction/practice before going for the climb.

Maybe that isn't a good place to start, but what really worries me is the altitude. I'd rather have a more strenuous climb for 15k to get ready for 20k.

QuoteWHen I lived in Calgary it wasn't difficult to find people to go hiking with.

But this isn't really the same thing. We are talking about a significant investment of money and vacation time, for starters.

But the point still stands - you find people who like to go hiking by doing hikes in your local area.  Then you plan for trips to somewhere more exotic.

Alfred, I can't recall where you live, but I'll bet you anything you could find a nice hike within a days drive.

If you're looking at something more exotic, I wholeheartedly recommend the Chilkoot Trail.  It was a wonderful experience.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

I climbed Mt. Batur in Bali many years ago. It was a lot more than we bargained for - in some places we were clinging by our fingers and toes to little ledges (we met a woman climbing down the other way and asked if there was an easier ascent: 'this *is* the easy ascent' she said).

The bizzare thing was that when we reached the summit, after many hair-raising experiences along the way ... there was a Balinese guy there with a little drinks stand set up, selling cans of pop and bottles of water out of an ice-filled cooler he had obviously carried up the mountain in the morning. All in a day's work for him.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on December 08, 2011, 10:10:45 AM

But the point still stands - you find people who like to go hiking by doing hikes in your local area.  Then you plan for trips to somewhere more exotic.

Alfred, I can't recall where you live, but I'll bet you anything you could find a nice hike within a days drive.

If you're looking at something more exotic, I wholeheartedly recommend the Chilkoot Trail.  It was a wonderful experience.

Bah, while that is certainly sound thinking, that isn't going to happen in my case.

PDH

Jaron will hike with you in the Utah Mormon Wilds.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

hotshot

I do wall climbing from time to time but I haven't tried mountaineering. Might do so in the near future.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: hotshot on December 09, 2011, 10:07:37 AM
I do wall climbing from time to time but I haven't tried mountaineering. Might do so in the near future.

Hey new guy, what's your deal?  Mormon?  British bicyclist?  Random gamer?   :)