News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Does anyone do any mountaineering?

Started by alfred russel, December 07, 2011, 06:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I've done some recent hiking, and thought this could be a new hobby. I'm not going to climb vertical walls of ice or anything, but maybe some higher nontechnical peaks. I was curious if anyone else has an interest in this or done any climbing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

I climb, but not really the sheer cliff face type of thing with ropes. Mostly trails and some rock crawling. Both on foot and 4x4.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

I have been know to climb stairs--does that count?

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 07, 2011, 07:21:30 PM
I climb, but not really the sheer cliff face type of thing with ropes. Mostly trails and some rock crawling. Both on foot and 4x4.

I have no interest in sheer cliff face stuff with ropes. Have you climbed anything higher altitude?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on December 07, 2011, 06:50:24 PM
I freeclimbed El Capitan.

I know that isn't true because it would require you to leave South Carolina.

Ideologue

I've left South Carolina plenty of times.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on December 07, 2011, 08:14:35 PM
I've left South Carolina plenty of times.

Daytrips to Charlotte and Atlanta?  :P

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Monoriu

Mountaineering means pushing the "add gradient" button when I am on the running machine. 

alfred russel

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2011, 08:09:56 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 07, 2011, 07:21:30 PM

I have no interest in sheer cliff face stuff with ropes. Have you climbed anything higher altitude?

Mostly in the 10,000-14,000ft range. Nothing I needed oxygen for.

Caliga

I've climbed a couple of easy mountains, including Mt. Phillips in New Mexico and Clingman's Dome in the Great Smoky Mountains.  I did Mt. Phillips when I was a teenager and it was a piece of cake.... Clingman's Dome a few years ago and not so much... :Embarrass:

The neat thing about mountain climbing is experiencing the very rapid climate transition.  With Clingman's Dome, you're on top of the mountains above the treeline in the freezing wind, and then you come down the mountain and you're in a warm subtropical rain forest.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

One thing I do notice is that when I take out of town visitors with me, they tend to get winded more easily than I do. Except my cousin from Denver. I sleep every night at 5000 feet. So you can't discount the difference in the air up high. It definitely matters.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 07, 2011, 08:54:01 PM
One thing I do notice is that when I take out of town visitors with me, they tend to get winded more easily than I do. Except my cousin from Denver. I sleep every night at 5000 feet. So you can't discount the difference in the air up high. It definitely matters.
:yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points