Main Menu

Iran State TV: We've downed a US drone

Started by Sheilbh, December 04, 2011, 09:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

QuoteBreaking News2:36pm UK, Sunday December 04, 2011

Iran TV: US Drone Shot Down By Military

2:36pm UK, Sunday December 04, 2011

Iran's military has shot down an unmanned US aircraft over the east of the country, state TV has reported.
"Iran's military has downed an intruding RQ-170 American drone in eastern Iran," Iran's Arabic-language Al Alam state television network quoted an unnamed military source as saying.

A report on English-language Press TV said the drone was "downed with minimum damage" and seized by Iranian officials.

The RQ-170 Sentinel is an unmanned stealth aircraft used for reconnaissance. It is not designed to carry weapons.

There was no immediate comment on the claims from the US military.

More to follow...
:mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2011, 09:43:53 AM
So?
Seems surprising.  Is it different from the ones used in Pakistan or is it that the Pakistanis have, so far, been restrained on this?

I thought they were very difficult to shoot down.
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

I guess this was no surprise when I saw this on the news. I have to assume the US and maybe others have drones operating in Iran, so certainly Iran is looking for them.

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 04, 2011, 10:25:32 AM
Seems surprising.  Is it different from the ones used in Pakistan or is it that the Pakistanis have, so far, been restrained on this?

I thought they were very difficult to shoot down.
Why surprising?  Something very difficult to down can still be downed (it could have mechanical difficulties, for instance, or the shooters get a golden BB).  One event doesn't create a trend. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Isn't the entire point of unmanned drones so that when someone occasionally brings one down, or they go down due to some mechanical issue we can say "Gee, isn't that too bad - lets send another drone to see what happened to the wreckage..."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

I guess it depends on how many secrets are on that drone.  It would suck if one downing would close the technology gap by a couple of years.

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2011, 12:13:31 PM
I guess it depends on how many secrets are on that drone.  It would suck if one downing would close the technology gap by a couple of years.

Up until the first guy touches it and it goes BOOM!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Ed Anger

Iran discovers......MUSIC!

Their words are now backed by techno beats.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

I hope it landed intact and the remote controller guys are watching the TV feed of their drone being hauled into a top secret Iranian facility.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2011, 12:21:51 PM

I loled :D
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2011, 12:21:51 PM

:lol:

Well-played.

If the loss of a drone was something that would close the tech gap by years, they wouldn't be flying them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Besides,they lead in flying carpet technology.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive