Iran State TV: We've downed a US drone

Started by Sheilbh, December 04, 2011, 09:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2011, 12:19:38 PM
Quote from: Brazen on December 05, 2011, 10:37:50 AM
May or may not have somethimg to do with this report fromlast week:

QuoteIRGC equipped with advanced air defence cannons

Iran has equipped its Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Aerospace Force with several 100mm air defence cannons, known as Sa'eer, to improve the unit's air defence capabilities, Iranian defence minister brigadier general Ahmad Vahidi said.

The 100mm Sa'eer air defence automatic medium-range system features a radar-optic interception system and can fire 12 to 15 shells per minute with improved precision at targets without crew intervention.

Iran has also equipped its air defence unit sentinels with advanced shoulder-fired rocket launchers to boost its air defence capability.

Woo. 100 whole millimetres. The decadant west cannot resist such mighty Persian guns. Their shells shall blot out the sun.

They also have very large catapults and AA Ballista to defend their airspace.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

The RQ-170 is not a high-altitude drone.  It is a photo (and, perhaps, video) platform, so would go low enough to see things.

If it does use video, then it could be redirected even lower to investigate sightings of interest.  We don't need to hypothesize any miraculous Iranian capabilities to account for their ability to shoot it down.  If that's what happened.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I still think there is a chance that it just fell out of the sky. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Zoroaster farted and the drone fell to earth.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

AnchorClanker

The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

"We must wire Von Ribbentrop immediately!"
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2011, 05:13:25 PM
The RQ-170 is not a high-altitude drone.  It is a photo (and, perhaps, video) platform, so would go low enough to see things.

If it does use video, then it could be redirected even lower to investigate sightings of interest.  We don't need to hypothesize any miraculous Iranian capabilities to account for their ability to shoot it down.  If that's what happened.
This drone is supposed to be one of the most advanced tech drones the US has, way more advanced than other drones. Could be a treasure trove for Iran, or actually Russia and China. If so, I'm a bit bummed that the US was using such an advanced drone over a nation that had the ability to shoot it down.

Eddie Teach

I am amused when Siege goes on one of his photoshop posting jags.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on December 05, 2011, 08:48:43 PM
This drone is supposed to be one of the most advanced tech drones the US has, way more advanced than other drones. Could be a treasure trove for Iran, or actually Russia and China. If so, I'm a bit bummed that the US was using such an advanced drone over a nation that had the ability to shoot it down.

The drone had no tech that the US wouldn't want to fall into hostile hands.  That's the nature of drones - they are expendable.  That's why you use them for missions like this.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2011, 10:33:00 PM

The drone had no tech that the US wouldn't want to fall into hostile hands.  That's the nature of drones - they are expendable.  That's why you use them for missions like this.
It would be silly to load mega ultra secret tech onto a remote control plane that will be flying over enemy territory wouldn't it? 

PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2011, 10:33:00 PM

When you're so far ahead in technology, is there even a thing that you wouldn't mind falling into enemy hands, other than live ordnance?  I'm sure even a turd coil from an American spec-ops soldier would be worth something to Iranians.

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 05, 2011, 10:46:23 PM
It would be silly to load mega ultra secret tech onto a remote control plane that will be flying over enemy territory wouldn't it? 

Yes, but the hand-wringers must wring hands.

Bayraktar!

sbr

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 05, 2011, 09:36:24 PM
I am amused when Siege goes on one of his photoshop posting jags.

This one was pretty funny.