Main Menu

Iran State TV: We've downed a US drone

Started by Sheilbh, December 04, 2011, 09:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on December 05, 2011, 10:46:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2011, 10:33:00 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 05, 2011, 08:48:43 PM
This drone is supposed to be one of the most advanced tech drones the US has, way more advanced than other drones. Could be a treasure trove for Iran, or actually Russia and China. If so, I'm a bit bummed that the US was using such an advanced drone over a nation that had the ability to shoot it down.

The drone had no tech that the US wouldn't want to fall into hostile hands.  That's the nature of drones - they are expendable.  That's why you use them for missions like this.
When you're so far ahead in technology, is there even a thing that you wouldn't mind falling into enemy hands, other than live ordnance?  I'm sure even a turd coil from an American spec-ops soldier would be worth something to Iranians.
Well shit. By that logic we'd be afraid to orbit a satellite over enemy nations since it could conceivably land.
PDH!

Razgovory

Well there is likely some sensitive material on the craft.  Most likely encryption devices and software, but that is expected to fall into enemy hands from time to time.  Not really a big loss.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

And the Chinese have likley already stolen that stuff.  Hell, the drone was probably assembled in China.
PDH!

KRonn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 05, 2011, 10:46:23 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2011, 10:33:00 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 05, 2011, 08:48:43 PM
This drone is supposed to be one of the most advanced tech drones the US has, way more advanced than other drones. Could be a treasure trove for Iran, or actually Russia and China. If so, I'm a bit bummed that the US was using such an advanced drone over a nation that had the ability to shoot it down.

The drone had no tech that the US wouldn't want to fall into hostile hands.  That's the nature of drones - they are expendable.  That's why you use them for missions like this.
It would be silly to load mega ultra secret tech onto a remote control plane that will be flying over enemy territory wouldn't it?
I would think you're right, and hope so. We lost a stealth fighter over Serbia and that tech wound up in Russian and Chinese hands, and maybe more but doubtful most nations can build anything with the tech.

The Minsky Moment

The Chinese most likely have already stolen 17 different copies of blueprints for every drone the US has.

As for the Iranians, they were never able to figure out how to build spare parts to keep their late 70s vintage F-14s flying, so I think panicking over the imminent arrival of Ayatollah drones over LA is probably an over-reaction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 06, 2011, 12:57:01 PM
As for the Iranians, they were never able to figure out how to build spare parts to keep their late 70s vintage F-14s flying...

Not since super-patriot LCOL Oliver North USMC stopped secretly and illegally selling them the parts, no.

And yes, I am still bitter that the Iranians had enough pull to get their traitor pardoned, rather than hanged.  The US didn't even get a quid pro quo for any Iranians that helped us out.  Iran kept Ollie out of jail for free. :mad:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

The Chinese most likely have already stolen 17 different copies of blueprints for every drone the US has.

As for the Iranians, they were never able to figure out how to build spare parts to keep their late 70s vintage F-14s flying, so I think panicking over the imminent arrival of Ayatollah drones over LA is probably an over-reaction.
I'm not worried at all about Iranian drones, just curious about the possibility of any advanced tech that has been gotten hold of. Iran can't likely use it anytime soon, but they'll sell/give it like the Serbs did the stealth plane info. One of the US' advantages is technology.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on December 06, 2011, 01:06:59 PM
As for the Iranians, they were never able to figure out how to build spare parts to keep their late 70s vintage F-14s flying...

Not since super-patriot LCOL Oliver North USMC stopped secretly and illegally selling them the parts, no.

And yes, I am still bitter that the Iranians had enough pull to get their traitor pardoned, rather than hanged.  The US didn't even get a quid pro quo for any Iranians that helped us out.  Iran kept Ollie out of jail for free. :mad:

America has a few simple rules.
If you are a Red and you betray your country, you get the chair.
If you are a John Bircher-type and betray your country, you get your own radio or TV talk show.

In ther first case, the traitor is punished, in the second only his listeners are.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

citizen k

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 06, 2011, 01:34:32 PM
America has a few simple rules.
If you are a Red and you betray your country, you get the chair.
If you are a John Bircher-type and betray your country, you get your own radio or TV talk show.

In the first case, the traitor is punished, in the second only his listeners are.

You're comparing nukes to F-14s?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Iran is now claiming they brought it down with mad hacker skilz.

MadImmortalMan

I'd be more inclined to believe the thing was carrying a stuxnet payload and was crashed there deliberately in the hopes the Iranians will try to plug it in.   :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2011, 06:51:55 PM
Iran is now claiming they brought it down with mad hacker skilz.

lolz. WE WILL DROWN OUT THE SUN WITH OUR MALWARE.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

So it looks like Iran doesn't want to give it back.

A senior Iranian military commander, however, said on Iranian television Sunday that not only would Iran not turn over the drone, but warned of a "bigger response" to the "hostile act" of crossing into Iranian airspace.

"No one returns the symbol of aggression to the party that sought secret and vital intelligence related to the national security of a country," Iranian Islamic Revolution Guards Corps [IRGC] Lt. Commander Gen. Hossein Salami said, according to Iran's Fars News Agency.

So...can we just hit it with a cruise missile before they hand it over to the Chinese?

Razgovory

Skip the middle man, and hit the Chinese embassy.  Just like the good ole days.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017