News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Charlotte, N.C.: opinions?

Started by Capetan Mihali, December 04, 2011, 01:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

I'm working in Charlotte, N.C. next summer.  I've never been there, and I can't get a good grasp on what's like... Banking town? Southern and sprawling?

I would welcome any descriptions of the city and especially any suggestions of exciting attractions/things to do.  :) 

Definitely going to the NASCAR museum, and maybe the Coca-Cola 600.  :alberta:  :cool:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

I'm nearby.  That makes Charlotte cooler than it would otherwise be.  Other than that, there's Carowinds.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Looks like one of those $50-entry amusement parks.  :hmm:   And I don't do rollercoasters.  That is one of my few bedrock principles.  I've got enough fucking worries as it is.   <_<

But I'd definitely like to make an excursion down to the lesser Carolina and shoot the shit.  :)  Unless you have business in Charlotte for some reason...  I should have at least a beater to drive around in, since rent is so much cheaper down there.   :sleep:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Charlotte is old town meets big fast growth.  Has everything you need.

Law enforcement-wise, it's a microcosm of Baltimore.  Big crime and related homicides relegated to the darkie neighborhoods.

So sorry, sucker.

dps

The North Carolina Zoo at Asheboro is about 90 miles away from Charlotte but worth the drive.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Strix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2011, 01:44:20 AM

Law enforcement-wise, it's a microcosm of Baltimore.  Big crime and related homicides relegated to the darkie neighborhoods.

So sorry, sucker.

:yes:

The only place worse crime-wise in NC is Fayettenam.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 04, 2011, 01:05:38 AM

Definitely going to the NASCAR museum, and maybe the Coca-Cola 600.  :alberta:  :cool:

There you go. Do both.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Scipio

Smells bad, looks worse.  Charlotte is the Jaron of North Carolina metropolises.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Charlotte is the capital of NASCAR nation. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Strix on December 04, 2011, 12:12:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2011, 01:44:20 AM

So sorry, sucker.

:yes:

The only place worse crime-wise in NC is Fayettenam.

lol Fayettenam.  Not even a police force made up of Green Beanies can save that town.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on December 04, 2011, 03:08:37 PM
:( 

I just don't get NASCAR.  I don't deny teh skill involved in not dying out there, but it just doesn't seem fun to watch. 
PDH!

Admiral Yi

People have told me a lot of the fun is related to the incredible noise.  Sort of like an all day Blue Angels flyover.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 04, 2011, 03:08:37 PM

Wow Cal.  You used to be cool.

Ok you used to be cooler.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."