Argentina launches naval campaign to isolate Falkland Islands

Started by jimmy olsen, December 06, 2011, 02:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: mongers on December 06, 2011, 09:42:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 06, 2011, 09:37:29 PM
Well if they have a go at this time, hopefully the Argentines will remember to flick the "on" switch to their Exocets before shooting them off.

I thought they performed very well with those *, it was the iron bombs ** they had trouble with.

* because they had french technicians helping them, allegedly.

** couldn't be arsed to read the two page vietnam era bomb arming instructions, urban myth.

France started helping out the Brits about exocet's specs and capabilities as soon as the conflict started. Don't gimme that crap.

Ideologue

Aerospatiale should have built self-destruct devices in like they do in Bond films or comic books.  Infeasible?  Probably.  But it'd have been a hoot, Mirages popping in the air like soap bubbles.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on December 07, 2011, 12:49:53 AM
Aerospatiale should have built self-destruct devices in like they do in Bond films or comic books.  Infeasible?  Probably.  But it'd have been a hoot, Mirages popping in the air like soap bubbles.

Probably wouldn't have helped with future sales, I imagine.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on December 07, 2011, 12:31:00 AMFrance started helping out the Brits about exocet's specs and capabilities as soon as the conflict started. Don't gimme that crap.
Yep.  According to British figures France was our most reliable and helpful ally in the Falklands :)
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on December 07, 2011, 01:24:12 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 07, 2011, 12:49:53 AM

Probably wouldn't have helped with future sales, I imagine.

Especially for those tight-fitting coats with the fur liner on the hood.

Brazen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2011, 02:18:52 PM
Better hurray up with those aircraft carriers Britain.
No point, we don't have the aircraft to fly off them.

Also, "Hurray for aircraft carriers!" :P

Ideologue

Carriers are merely luxury.  You have strong fundamentals.  That is, you have SSBNs.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Brazen on December 07, 2011, 06:07:29 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2011, 02:18:52 PM
Better hurray up with those aircraft carriers Britain.
No point, we don't have the aircraft to fly off them.

Also, "Hurray for aircraft carriers!" :P
Participating in the F-35 project with the Americans was probably a bad idea.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: KRonn on December 06, 2011, 06:22:25 PM
Can't blame the Argies... Falklands being such an important, strategic sheep raising locale.

It is the only part of their country their government hasn't screwed up.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

KRonn

Why don't the UK and Argentina just handle this in a civil manner? Have a soccer game to decide and then fight over, like usual for soccer nations.    ;)

alfred russel

Quote from: KRonn on December 07, 2011, 05:20:10 PM
Why don't the UK and Argentina just handle this in a civil manner? Have a soccer game to decide and then fight over, like usual for soccer nations.    ;)

England might want to stick with its military.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj6ns2ctD6A
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Britain's military may be in a dodgy place right now but Argentina's is far worse. Considering we actually have defenses in the Falklands these days they'd never take them in the first place, there's no real need for a carrier down there.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

There is an airbase there nowadays, so, rhetoric aside, I think it would be much tougher for the Argies than last time. Of course we did have Mrs Thatcher in power back then, the only British PM with balls since Churchill  :hmm:

Monoriu

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 08, 2011, 02:32:05 AM
There is an airbase there nowadays, so, rhetoric aside, I think it would be much tougher for the Argies than last time. Of course we did have Mrs Thatcher in power back then, the only British PM with balls since Churchill  :hmm:

An airbase works both ways.  It can be used to stop an invasion.  It can also be used to stop an attempt to retake the island.  Imagine if the Argentines could operate jet fighters out of the Falklands in 1982 :ph34r: