News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Charlotte, N.C.: opinions?

Started by Capetan Mihali, December 04, 2011, 01:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Anyway my dad, bro and I have been talking about meeting up for a race at Bristol or Martinsville.  MY dad is a die hard NASCAR fan and my brother took him to Pocono for a race for his birthday last year.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 05, 2011, 11:40:42 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 05, 2011, 09:26:37 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 04, 2011, 03:08:37 PM
Charlotte is the capital of NASCAR nation. :cool:
:( 

I just don't get NASCAR.  I don't deny teh skill involved in not dying out there, but it just doesn't seem fun to watch.
I can't watch it either, but if you ever catch a radio broadcast of the race they make it sound amazing.
The radio is for Tommy Finneran and Howie Carr.
PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on December 05, 2011, 12:16:31 PM
Dale Earnhardt... got killed. :(

"Got killed."  Nice passive voice there.  But you're right, no way we could identify the agent in that sentence.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

IIRC it's not clear whether the accident was primarily caused by him, Kenny Schrader, or Sterling Marlin. :sleep:

DGuller

I don't think anyone holds Schrader in any way responsible, or even potentially responsible.  :huh: Schrader was an innocent bystander in that crash.  Most sane fans don't hold Sterling Marlin responsible either, Earnhardt just went too far blocking for the benefit of his team, and paid with his life.

Scipio

Quote from: DGuller on December 05, 2011, 07:19:30 PM
I don't think anyone holds Schrader in any way responsible, or even potentially responsible.  :huh: Schrader was an innocent bystander in that crash.  Most sane fans don't hold Sterling Marlin responsible either, Earnhardt just went too far blocking for the benefit of his team, and paid with his life.
You drive like a jackass, you die like a jackass.  IMHO, the second most-pointless racing death, next to Senna.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

@DG Dude, I don't remember all the minute details... I mean this happened like ten years ago now. :huh:

To the best of my prior recollection, Marlin tipped Schrader who t-boned Earnhardt.  Given the speeds involved and tightness of the situation it'd be hard to say any one person was responsible though.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 05, 2011, 07:53:51 PM
@DG Dude, I don't remember all the minute details... I mean this happened like ten years ago now. :huh:

To the best of my prior recollection, Marlin tipped Schrader who t-boned Earnhardt.  Given the speeds involved and tightness of the situation it'd be hard to say any one person was responsible though.

YOU VILL REMEMBER! OR ELSE!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

AnchorClanker

I presume all this NASCAR is intended to scare/annoy him?
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Caliga

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 05, 2011, 07:55:29 PM
^_^

Did I ever tell you people that the only time my dad ever got in a fight with my grandfather (his father-in-law) was over NASCAR?  My grandfather insisted NASCAR wasn't a sport, and my dad exploded at the notion.  Apparently it almost came to fisticuffs but my uncle intervened. :wacko:

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Caliga on December 05, 2011, 07:57:24 PM
^_^

Did I ever tell you people that the only time my dad ever got in a fight with my grandfather (his father-in-law) was over NASCAR?  My grandfather insisted NASCAR wasn't a sport, and my dad exploded at the notion.  Apparently it almost came to fisticuffs but my uncle intervened. :wacko:
:(  I cannot understand strong emotions when it comes to sports and sporting events.  I just don't get it.  Tribalism run amok.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Ed Anger

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 05, 2011, 07:58:47 PM
^_^

:(  I cannot understand strong emotions when it comes to sports and sporting events.  I just don't get it.  Tribalism run amok.

<_<

*puts on my sweater vest*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

@Ank Agree. :hug:

But my dad is such a big NASCAR fan that he named his Yorkshire Terrier Mark Martin. :cool:

Scipio

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 05, 2011, 07:58:47 PM
^_^

Man, the paroxysms of rage my family went into at Thanksgiving, when they had to cheer for the Packers against the Lions for the benefit of their pathetic Bears, were OSSUM to witness.  I just chuckled, remembering my many years of suffering as a Packers fan.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

<_<

*puts on my sweater vest*

Missing the point.  I get enjoying a sport, I don't get people getting all worked up about it. 
"Grow the fuck up!" is basically my inner feelings on it - save your emotional energy for something that actually matters.