Who will be the Republican Nominee for President (post Cain)

Started by Viking, December 03, 2011, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 06, 2011, 04:50:55 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 06, 2011, 04:46:05 PMAnd the words of the English language finally lost all meaning.  "Repugnant"?  Come on.
I think it's pretty repugnant and I think Michelle comes across very well.

Yeah, I clicked on the link thinking that it was going to be something where she looked bad but she actually seemed pretty decent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 06, 2011, 04:12:47 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on December 06, 2011, 04:07:25 PM
"Is likeable" and "would make a good president" are, as we learned with GWB, not of necessity correlated.
And how.  I think Andrew Sullivan said his favourite thing about Ron Paul is his walk and I think I'm the same.  If you ever watch one of the debates its always great because all of the other candidates have big-swinging-dick-Alpha-male walks - it's all very 1950s - and then you get Ron Paul who just has this diffident shuffle onto the stage.  It's wonderful and in many ways I always think it a more assured and confident statement than the rest.

But I can barely stand anyone I actually agree with.  I almost always find conservatives more likeable - in the US at least, over here there's noone with enough personality to like.

Familiarity breeds contempt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 06, 2011, 03:41:13 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 06, 2011, 03:39:33 PM
I like Ron Paul :blush:
I liked him too, until he turned from being a protest candidate to being a candidate taken seriously, and a candidate whose ideas zombify countless youths.  Then he and his cult started really, really scaring me, mainly due to their limitless ability to completely ignore the reality.

I think when you dig deeper on Pauls stuff it gets really scary.  Conspiracy theory nonsense and Militia bullshit. His "Ron Paul Report" from the 1990's full of bizarre racist screeds.  He later denied writing them.  He's an excellent example of how Conservatives have used "libertarianism" and "smaller government" to court the racist vote in the south.  That doesn't come up so much anymore, but it good to remember where a movement has been and what it's roots are.

Fortunately, Paul comes across as simply a kooky old man.  Which is what he is.  His son has some charisma and might be able to get much larger following.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

fhdz

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2011, 12:20:27 AM
His "Ron Paul Report" from the 1990's full of bizarre racist screeds.  He later denied writing them.

Probably because he didn't write them.  Or are you of the school that says if someone denies something, they must have done it?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

fhdz

Quote from: Habbaku on December 07, 2011, 12:45:40 AM
His "Ron Paul Report" from the 1990's full of bizarre racist screeds.  He later denied writing them.

Probably because he didn't write them.  Or are you of the school that says if someone denies something, they must have done it?

Did Lyndon LaRouche ever write for his own newsletter?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2011, 04:49:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 06, 2011, 04:46:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2011, 04:31:58 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/michele-bachmann-vs-8-old-192125455.html

Kinda repugnant that the mother clearly forced the boy to do that.

And the words of the English language finally lost all meaning.  "Repugnant"?  Come on.

:unsure:

QuoteDefinition of REPUGNANT
: incompatible, inconsistent
archaic : hostile
: exciting distaste or aversion <repugnant language> <a morally repugnant practice>

Teaching your children a proper moral code is no more repugnant than teaching them to count.

I mean, I guess it's kind of overbearing to make your kid do that in public, but no more so than the various flavors of overbearing that I doubt you would find particularly repugnant.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Habbaku

Quote from: fahdiz on December 07, 2011, 01:05:47 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 07, 2011, 12:47:30 AM
I don't know, did he deny writing for it?

I don't think so. I was just curious.

I was just making a crack.  I have no idea if LaRouche wrote for his own rag.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on December 07, 2011, 12:45:40 AM

Why would you have it in your news letter in the first place?  Did he bother to read his own newsletter?  It's not like it only happened once and then he apologized.  It would be really fucking strange if a Congressmen published a newsletter that promoted views he disagreed with out saying who wrote them.  In fact, most of them contain no bylines (though some are in the first person so they were either written by Paul or someone wanted to give that impression.  It would seem rather difficult to distance yourself from a newsletter that you publish that has your name on it.