Who will be the Republican Nominee for President (post Cain)

Started by Viking, December 03, 2011, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on December 05, 2011, 05:58:22 PM
I'm thinking he might have run to be the smartest guy on stage on national tv.
That's why he's doing some sort of interview with Trump.

I think we'll see a Huntsman surge story soon.  He's up to 11% in New Hampshire and I think he could start eating into Romney's vote there.  If the impression is that Romney's finished then why should anyone settle for him.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 05, 2011, 06:01:57 PM

I think we'll see a Huntsman surge story soon.  He's up to 11% in New Hampshire and I think he could start eating into Romney's vote there.  If the impression is that Romney's finished then why should anyone settle for him.

And your suggestion is that those who were settling from Romney would settle for Huntsman?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habsburg

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 05, 2011, 06:01:57 PM

I wish, big Hunstman supporter.  He won't go anywhere.   :(

Razgovory

Yeah, Huntsman is non-starter.  To moderate and to Mormon. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on December 05, 2011, 06:31:05 PMAnd your suggestion is that those who were settling from Romney would settle for Huntsman?
I think that the independent moderate leaning voter in states like New Hampshire will possibly look at Romney just flailing and they'll say if we're going to go for a management consultant, relatively pragmatic, permatanned, wealthy Mormon Governor, then why not for the one who embraces that?  I think Romney could easily lose the 'moderate' vote.

I'd also note that the editor of Red State's tweeted that he's reconsidering Huntsman and has since written him up as actually pretty reliably conservative and anti-crony capitalist, all of which is true.  By contrast only 20-something percent of Republicans think Romney is a conservative.

I think Huntsman - whose campaign is run by the same people who ran John McCain's in 2000 - could get a surge.  What he's done is be moderate in tone and emphasise his McKinsey style pragmatic governorship which appeals to the sort of vote Romney should have locked down.  But at the same time Huntsman was a pragmatic governor who worked with Democrats in Utah, which makes him far more conservative than Romney - or probably several other candidates.  If he can draw attention to that record in his sensible, moderate tone then I think he can basically become what Romney was meant to be - and perhaps would have been had he had any core identity.

That may not happen, of course.  But the sense I get is that no-one really wants Romney, not even his base.  Huntsman seems to me the sort of candidate who could do well in New Hampshire and if Romney fades there's no-one else who can take on Newt/whoever else as tribune of the country club.

Edit:  Another example from just tonight.  Huntsman has had a go at Donald Trump moderating a Republican debate (seriously?) as 'business over substance' and said 'I'm not going to kiss his ring and I'm not going to kiss any other part of his anatomy' - admittedly I think this was because him and Ron Paul weren't invited by Donald Trump (Donald Trump!) because they weren't sufficiently serious candidates.

But I think that attitude could appeal to the sort of Republican who feels this has all got a bit close to a reality TV show.  Especially when compared with Romney who will leap through any hoop to get the nomination.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

If Huntsman wants to be taken seriously he'll have to explain his wacky first name.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2011, 06:47:17 PM
If Huntsman wants to be taken seriously he'll have to explain his wacky first name.

Why, because no H?
and the horse you rode in on

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

He's actually the best by far of the Republican crew. I love "To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy." Naturally, this will mean he cannot possibly get the nomination.

fhdz

Admiral Yi

Speaking of magic pants, have the Osmonds said who they're endorsing yet?

Sheilbh

Quote from: fahdiz on December 05, 2011, 06:53:46 PM
He's actually the best by far of the Republican crew. I love "To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy." Naturally, this will mean he cannot possibly get the nomination.
I think his 'did you hear what I just said? ... The President is Commander in Chief' line in one of the debates was very good and needed to be said.  I also think that if he does well that'll be seen as the turning point in his campaign.
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2011, 06:59:40 PM
Speaking of magic pants, have the Osmonds said who they're endorsing yet?

With not one but two Mormons in the race, I bet they think they've died and gone to Kolob.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2011, 06:47:17 PM

And what the fuck kind of name is "Mitt," anyway?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)