News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cain Out

Started by Viking, December 03, 2011, 02:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

To many sex scandals. Well, at least the campaign is a bit less batshitty. To be honest, I'm actually starting to appreciate this eternal debating cycle the republicans have going. What's going to happen is that republican primary voters and caucus attendees will now know their candidates well before the Iowa caucus reducing the far out of proportion of the power of the Iowa caucus and New Hampshire primary. Maybe we'll see a drop in farm subsidies and whatever New Hampshire care about being screwed over. Whats next? One super primary for all states just like the general election?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16019624

QuoteUS Republican Herman Cain suspends campaign

US presidential hopeful Herman Cain has said he is suspending his campaign for the Republican nomination.

He blamed political and media pressure on his family in the wake of "false" allegations of sexual harassment and a 13-year-long extra-marital affair.

"I am not going to be silenced and I'm not going away," he told supporters in his home city of Atlanta, Georgia.

Next month, voters in Iowa will begin the process of choosing a Republican presidential candidate for 2012.

Mr Cain said the "false" allegations against him had taken a toll on his family, but added: "I am at peace."

"I am suspending my presidential campaign because of the continued distraction, the continued hurt caused on me and my family," he told supporters at what had been billed as the opening of his campaign headquarters.

He said he would endorse another candidate at a later date but gave no hint of where he would direct his supporters to go.

On Friday Mr Cain discussed with his wife, Gloria, whether to press on with his campaign.

Last week, an Atlanta woman, Ginger White, 46, came forward to claim she had a 13-year affair with Mr Cain.

Speaking to MSNBC on Thursday, Ms White denied they had been in love, saying: "It was a sexual affair - as hard as that is for me to say."

While rejecting any suggestion of an affair with Ms White, Mr Cain has acknowledged helping pay her monthly bills and expenses, and that his wife did not know about the friendship.

The BBC's Marcus George, in Washington DC, says even before the questions arose about Mr Cain's private life, there were doubts about his plans for tax reform and his understanding of foreign affairs.

The former pizza executive went from obscure longshot to unlikely frontrunner to tabloid fodder.

While Mr Cain's ratings slumped, support for former House of Representatives Speaker Newt Gingrich has surged.

Mr Gingrich has now overtaken frontrunner Mitt Romney in some opinion polls on who should be the Republican candidate to challenge Barack Obama for the White House in November 2012.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

He always seemed able to me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Seems his drop started right after the "what's a Libya?" interview and the concubine was just the coup de grace.

Maximus

Quote from: The Brain on December 03, 2011, 02:32:16 PM
Seemed like he was a marked man from the start.

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on December 03, 2011, 02:40:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 03, 2011, 02:32:16 PM
Seemed like he was a marked man from the start.

Yes, as The Brain said.  Able was the marked man, and Cain was Able ere he saw Elba.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Sad news.  He's immensely charming and, in this field, had the very real virtue of being interesting and engaging.

Edit:  Also I am loving the sunglasses in this goodbye speech.  Too few politicians in democratic countries have the confidence to wear sunglasses.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2011, 02:35:07 PM
the concubine was just the coup de grace.

You should pluralize concubine.

WHERE ALL DA WHITE WIMMIN AT

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2011, 03:47:51 PM

That would be ossum if a) Cain had actually boned the women who filed sexual harrassment complaints and b) sexual harrassment complaints were worth more than a cup of spit.

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2011, 03:59:53 PM
That would be ossum if a) Cain had actually boned the women who filed sexual harrassment complaints and b) sexual harrassment complaints were worth more than a cup of spit.

Be fair.  At least one of them was worth about fifty thousand dollars.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on December 03, 2011, 04:16:17 PM
Be fair.  At least one of them was worth about fifty thousand dollars.

36 I think, but point taken.

Martinus

The Onion's title pretty much sums up how I feel:

"Rumors Of Extramarital Affair End Campaign Of Presidential Candidate Who Didn't Know China Has Nuclear Weapons."

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2011, 03:59:53 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2011, 03:47:51 PM

Which one?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

We've  truly lost a statesman Sheilbh! :weep:

:lol:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/69700.html#ixzz1fWM1Yh8t
QuoteBy ALEXANDER BURNS | 12/3/11 1:55 PM EST Updated: 12/3/11 2:08 PM EST

Herman Cain quoted from a source he identified as "the Pokemon movie" in a speech suspending his presidential campaign Saturday.

"I believe these words came from the Pokemon movie," Cain said. "Life can be a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when there's so much on the line. But you and I can make a difference. There's a mission just for you and me."
Continue Reading

He continued: "Just look inside and you will find just what you can do."

In previous speeches, Cain has attributed the quotation to "a poet."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2011, 03:01:49 PM
Sad news.  He's immensely charming and, in this field, had the very real virtue of being interesting and engaging.

Interesting?  Engaging?  I guess, in the sense I wanted to engage him with a tire iron every time he opened his mouth.

QuoteEdit:  Also I am loving the sunglasses in this goodbye speech.  Too few politicians in democratic countries have the confidence to wear sunglasses.

So they can keep track of visions in their eyes?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

Fuck, he was my candidate.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"