And we're back!

Main Menu

Cain Out

Started by Viking, December 03, 2011, 02:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 04, 2011, 12:19:56 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2011, 09:32:58 PM
One interesting act is that I don't think Newt ever thought he'd be in such an advantageous position, it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to it.

Jon Stewart may have been onto something when he joked about Newt Gingrich keeping his mouth shut while his opponents crash and burn.

I imagine what happened is something more like "no one bothered paying any serious attention to Gingrich until his opponents crashed and burned".

After all, Gingrich could only go upwards as his campaign started in the flaming wreckage.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 04, 2011, 03:47:09 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 04, 2011, 12:19:56 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2011, 09:32:58 PM
One interesting act is that I don't think Newt ever thought he'd be in such an advantageous position, it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to it.

Jon Stewart may have been onto something when he joked about Newt Gingrich keeping his mouth shut while his opponents crash and burn.

I what happened is something more like "no one bothered paying any serious attention to Gingrich until his opponents crashed and burned".

After all, Gingrich could only go upwards as his campaign started in the flaming wreckage.

Gingrich can't handle being on top.  He'll crash and burn soon enough.  It's what he does.

DGuller

So, who's next?  Huntsman?  Sarah Palin's Ghost?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2011, 04:37:53 PM

He'll last long enough to implode near the end of the primary season, where Mitt will wind up cleaning up.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2011, 04:41:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2011, 04:37:53 PM

He'll last long enough to implode near the end of the primary season, where Mitt will wind up cleaning up.

And Obama will win running as the christian and sane candidate.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 04, 2011, 11:07:44 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 04, 2011, 05:36:38 AM
That would be hilarious. And she would be better than Perry.
Damning with faint praise there.

I'm still worried the Tea Party voters will turn on Newt and go back to Perry.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

That doesn't bother me to much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on December 04, 2011, 02:31:05 PM
Does anyone remember when Gingrich was speaker and when they were going on some break he gave the House members a list of books for a reading assignment? What an ass.
What book was it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

A "list of books" implies more than one.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 04, 2011, 06:40:08 PM
Does anyone remember when Gingrich was speaker and when they were going on some break he gave the House members a list of books for a reading assignment? What an ass.
What book was it?

There were lots of books.  I do remember de Tocqueville was on there.  The copy I had state on the cover that it was part of Gingrich's lists.  While it may seem like asinine thing to do, you have to remember Gingrich was dealing with Freshman Republicans.  They aren't exactly the most aware bunch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 04, 2011, 06:06:16 PM

How could the Tea Party be pro-Perry the guy is an ex-Democrat career politician establishment guy down to his bones.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2011, 06:51:01 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 04, 2011, 06:06:16 PM
How could the Tea Party be pro-Perry the guy is an ex-Democrat career politician establishment guy down to his bones.
It's important to remember that the Tea Party people are pretty stupid.  That's why they're in the Tea Party.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

What book was it?

http://articles.philly.com/1995-01-05/news/25713247_1_reading-list-essential-reading-harold-bloom

Newly crowned Speaker Newt Gingrich (Emory B.A., Tulane Ph.D.) gave his fellow House Republicans a reading list for Christmas, four concerning the creation of the Republic. The other four analyze leadership and the future, the ideal oblation from a former historian who says he is engaged in "21st- century entrepreneurial futurism."

"Gingrich, who appears to operate at microwave speed, gave his charges only four weeks to digest the tomes, a tough task given that Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America is nearly as fat as the Congressional Directory and that many representatives were embarking at the same time on their maiden voyages into the dangerous waters of Washington real estate.

Admittedly, many House members are probably familiar with the Declaration of Independence, The Federalist Papers, de Tocqueville and even James T. Flexner's Washington: The Indispensable Man. But how many picked up Alvin and Heidi Toffler's Creating a New Civilization: The Politics of the Third Wave, Peter Drucker's The Effective Executive, Mary E. Boone's Leadership and the Computer, and Arleaha and Morris Shechtman's Working Without a Net: How to Survive and Thrive in Today's High Risk Business World?"
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on December 04, 2011, 07:19:09 PM
What book was it?

http://articles.philly.com/1995-01-05/news/25713247_1_reading-list-essential-reading-harold-bloom

Newly crowned Speaker Newt Gingrich (Emory B.A., Tulane Ph.D.) gave his fellow House Republicans a reading list for Christmas, four concerning the creation of the Republic. The other four analyze leadership and the future, the ideal oblation from a former historian who says he is engaged in "21st- century entrepreneurial futurism."

"Gingrich, who appears to operate at microwave speed, gave his charges only four weeks to digest the tomes, a tough task given that Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America is nearly as fat as the Congressional Directory and that many representatives were embarking at the same time on their maiden voyages into the dangerous waters of Washington real estate.

Admittedly, many House members are probably familiar with the Declaration of Independence, The Federalist Papers, de Tocqueville and even James T. Flexner's Washington: The Indispensable Man. But how many picked up Alvin and Heidi Toffler's Creating a New Civilization: The Politics of the Third Wave, Peter Drucker's The Effective Executive, Mary E. Boone's Leadership and the Computer, and Arleaha and Morris Shechtman's Working Without a Net: How to Survive and Thrive in Today's High Risk Business World?"

I make all my new employees read Marcus Aurelius, St. Augustine, and St. Thomas Aquinas.

Actually, no.  No I don't.  I can't even get them to read my emails.  *sigh*

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.