And we're back!

Main Menu

Fed gave out $16 Trillion in secret bailouts

Started by jimmy olsen, December 03, 2011, 12:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2011, 06:32:55 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 04, 2011, 03:44:30 PM
And why the Weather Channel has disaster shows and gives katmai a job.  Or why the History Channel is full of dinosaurs, aliens and Hitler, or, if you like, alien-born Hitler dinosaurs.
Do they even show Hitler anymore?  I thought the History Channel had gone full reality shows and paranormal stuff.
Every once in a while.  I remember they had a show that was like 'Evil Hitler's Evil Henchmen of Evil and Evilness'.

Still, it's mostly reality shows about garbage pickers, petty criminals and the paranormal.  The real interesting shows are on PBS.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2011, 06:32:55 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 04, 2011, 03:44:30 PM
And why the Weather Channel has disaster shows and gives katmai a job.  Or why the History Channel is full of dinosaurs, aliens and Hitler, or, if you like, alien-born Hitler dinosaurs.

Do they even show Hitler anymore?  I thought the History Channel had gone full reality shows and paranormal stuff.

H2, Military channel and Military history have taken up the Hitler mantle.

Military channel has a show called Weaponology, and the Waffen SS episode basically blew the SS cock.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2011, 12:53:59 AM
WTF? How is that even possible?

Stick with your first instinct

The very first page of the GAO report puts the lie to the both claims (the 13 trillion and the secret part).

Bernie may have the best Brooklyn accent in Vermont but his understanding of central bank operations is a little soft.  Not surprising given his committe assignments.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Well you're posting from work early this morning.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2011, 09:42:37 AM
CNN is fairly neutral I think.  I genuinely can't stand either MSNBC or Fox.  I don't know which dislike more.
They are fairly neutral, despite the bleating from the right that they're part of the liberal media conspiracy.  The problem is that neutrality does not add to competence, and that's something equally lacking at every cable news channel.

DGuller

I think it all these discussions, dollar-years would be a much more appropriate measure.  If you lend $16 trillion for a year at no interest, that's a gigantic bailout all by itself, given that the lender is eating interest and risk premium on that huge amount.  If you lend $16 trillion by lending $50 billion for a day, then it's a little different story.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2011, 04:24:11 PMOh there is, but nobody wants to watch it.   I don't think people are that interested in a lot of the news around the world.  New policies in China, EU Summits, etc.  All that is boring.  Apparently people want to watch talking heads scream at one another or missing white chicks.  Even violence doesn't always sell.  It's not like there much reporting about civil war in Somalia.  Hell, there's not a great deal of reporting about NATO troops in Afghanistan.  I don't know if it's because people don't care about that or because it's expensive and dangerous for journalists to go over there.
Al-Jazeera's pretty good for breadth of coverage.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2011, 04:24:11 PM
Apparently people want to watch talking heads scream at one another or missing white chicks.

You forgot missing white babies, too.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 05, 2011, 04:10:20 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2011, 04:24:11 PMOh there is, but nobody wants to watch it.   I don't think people are that interested in a lot of the news around the world.  New policies in China, EU Summits, etc.  All that is boring.  Apparently people want to watch talking heads scream at one another or missing white chicks.  Even violence doesn't always sell.  It's not like there much reporting about civil war in Somalia.  Hell, there's not a great deal of reporting about NATO troops in Afghanistan.  I don't know if it's because people don't care about that or because it's expensive and dangerous for journalists to go over there.
Al-Jazeera's pretty good for breadth of coverage.

Difficult to score on cable, though.

I prefer BBC America for good international coverage, but much like trying to listen Economist podcasts on the way to work, I fall asleep to droning English accents.  So sedate.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2011, 11:36:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2011, 09:42:37 AM
CNN is fairly neutral I think.  I genuinely can't stand either MSNBC or Fox.  I don't know which dislike more.
They are fairly neutral, despite the bleating from the right that they're part of the liberal media conspiracy.  The problem is that neutrality does not add to competence, and that's something equally lacking at every cable news channel.

Anything that has not signed Grover's no tax pledge is part of the liberal media conspiracy.  It must be tough being a conservative, what with all the world arrayed against you at all times.  My nerves would be shot if I spent time wondering if the dog catcher was promoting "the gay agenda", or if ACORN had somehow  infiltrated the neighborhood book club.

I agree that CNN isn't really good at news.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

I can't get Al Jazeera on Verizon FIOS, but at least I get BYU Television.  Because the Mormon angle is so much more impactful on Middle East coverage.

Sheilbh

The best thing about AJE is that they've got a Middle East bent, and a Qatari bias, but they also cover far more Balkan, African and Asian stories in general.  They've their issues, but for my money they're the best news channel out there.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 05, 2011, 06:36:12 AM
The best thing about AJE is that they've got a Middle East bent, and a Qatari bias, but they also cover far more Balkan, African and Asian stories in general.  They've their issues, but for my money they're the best news channel out there.

For shits and giggles, I did a search for Al-Jazeera on Verizon's FIOS page for availability.

Search for: Al Jazeera
No results found for your search.

Search Results

Did you mean "Al Careers" or "Al Jarreau"?

...sigh

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 05, 2011, 05:52:56 AM

I prefer BBC America for good international coverage, but much like trying to listen Economist podcasts on the way to work, I fall asleep to droning English accents.  So sedate.

Yeah, when they actually bother to show news instead of endless reruns of Star Trek TNG, Battlestar Galactica, and other American shows.

PDH

The Al Jarreau Network has a weak foreign bureau.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM