News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fed gave out $16 Trillion in secret bailouts

Started by jimmy olsen, December 03, 2011, 12:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Was all this actually created/spent/whatever?  That's more than our GDP.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Bernie Sanders is a kook and a liar, and Forbes link is a blog. 

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Grinning_Colossus

I'd also like some evidence that he's a kook, given that the social democratic policies he advocates demonstrably produce higher-utility outcomes.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Crazy_Ivan80

can't have been a good secret then if you know about it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2011, 02:44:40 AM
What's his lying record? :mellow:

A while back he posted something on his official Senate website about "corporations that don't pay any taxes and whose CEOs make a million dollars."  Or something like that.  Turned out to be bunk.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2011, 04:44:52 AMA while back he posted something on his official Senate website about "corporations that don't pay any taxes and whose CEOs make a million dollars."  Or something like that.  Turned out to be bunk.
That doesn't mean he was lying unless he knew it was bunk to begin with though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2011, 04:58:12 AM
That doesn't mean he was lying unless he knew it was bunk to begin with though.

I'm going to download the GAO report linked on Bernie's site tonight.  What do you think the chances are that that report states that the Fed gave out $16 trillion in secret bailouts?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2011, 05:03:10 AMI'm going to download the GAO report linked on Bernie's site tonight.  What do you think the chances are that that report states that the Fed gave out $16 trillion in secret bailouts?
Unlikely.  But they're talking secret loans and total financial assistance - I imagine they mean that in the broadest possible sense.  I think TARP was around $700 billion for US institutions alone.  All financial assistance including things like Fed Funds and also short-term liquidity support that had to be kept secret to avoid meltdown and the real 'bail outs' that TARP replaced.  I think all told that could be roughly 20 times the size of TARP, especially if you're including foreign banks like RBS and Barclays.

The real questions are were they bail outs?  No.  Is this a story?  No.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2011, 02:29:27 AM
Bernie Sanders is a kook and a liar, and Forbes link is a blog.
Is the Government Accountability Office also ran by kooks and liars, because they're the one who Sanders is quoting. He links to their report at the bottom of the page.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2011, 11:11:36 AMIs the Government Accountability Office also ran by kooks and liars, because they're the one who Sanders is quoting. He links to their report at the bottom of the page.
I imagine the key is how Sanders interprets bailouts.
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Fed can give loans and bailouts on its own, without Congress or the President okaying it. But 16 trillion is a lot, seems way too much. It would be nice if the nation had 16 trillion dollars. Well, we do, but it's all debt, owed to someone else. And I think we borrow from ourselves too, from the Treasury or something.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2011, 11:17:45 AM
I imagine the key is how Sanders interprets bailouts.

A brief scan of the reports makes me think that, for Sanders, "transaction" = "bailout."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: KRonn on December 03, 2011, 11:28:30 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Fed can give loans and bailouts on its own, without Congress or the President okaying it. But 16 trillion is a lot, seems way too much. It would be nice if the nation had 16 trillion dollars. Well, we do, but it's all debt, owed to someone else. And I think we borrow from ourselves too, from the Treasury or something.

Correct.  The appointments are the end of the government's involvement in the Federal Reserve Bank.  It's technically run by a committee of people with 12-year "terms," who are, at the end of the day, bankers.
Experience bij!