And we're back!

Main Menu

Fed gave out $16 Trillion in secret bailouts

Started by jimmy olsen, December 03, 2011, 12:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Alcibiades on December 03, 2011, 11:07:06 PM
I trust John Stewart more than CNN or Fox News.   :swiss:
His comedy is open, honest comedy.  That makes it better than the comedy that is "news" at either of the other two.  That doesn't make it actual news, though - just more like actual news than the lies spouted on Fox and CNN.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2011, 08:43:11 AMHis comedy is open, honest comedy.  That makes it better than the comedy that is "news" at either of the other two.  That doesn't make it actual news, though - just more like actual news than the lies spouted on Fox and CNN.
I thought CNN was trying to be the reasonable 'objective' news between the partisan inanities of Fox and MSNBC?

Having said that in the UK we get American Fox - so the full effect - whereas we get CNN International which even Hans describes as a relatively neutral decent news channel.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

CNN is fairly neutral I think.  I genuinely can't stand either MSNBC or Fox.  I don't know which dislike more.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

I like CNN ok. Sometimes they annoy me but they seem more neutral than Fox or MSNBC. They don't get as heavily into the political partisanship. I watch some of Fox news programs, and a couple MSNBC such as their morning show which has a large mix of different ideologic/political views.

When I watch a news show that is slanted either way I take that slant into consideration. Just have to be looking at other sources to get a complete picture, and not take too much at face value. At least we have a lot more news venues, (internet news sites with access to so many newspapers and magazines, more cable local and national tv sites, and international news sites) than we had a few decades ago, which is a good thing for getting different views and takes on issues.

alfred russel

Quote from: KRonn on December 03, 2011, 02:10:33 PM
Quote from: Alcibiades on December 03, 2011, 01:23:45 PM
John Stewart reported on this, but said it was 7.7 trillion in secret bailouts, and that the treasury or congress didn't even know.

His new segment:  "How the f#@k is it that Martha Stewart went to jail?"
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-december-1-2011/america-s-next-tarp-model?xrs=share_copy

Apparently lent all that money out for .01% interest, and then the banks used it to buy treasury bonds that yielded 3% interest.  AWESOME.
Wow, just wow.... To the Languish financial types, does this make sense? I guess so that banks wouldn't go out of business, and cause a worse financial debacle. But such a low loan rate? Couldn't the Fed at least make some money off of it all? The banks are even getting 3% from the US Treasury bonds, using the basically free money the Fed gave them.  :huh:

Man, I need a bail out....

This isn't news. It was discussed at the time, and the rationale obviously being that the banks needed to be supported.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

CNN might be more neutral, but it's still kind of garbage.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on December 04, 2011, 03:08:08 PM

I don't think there is enough news for a 24 hour news station. They have to fill it up with garbage.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on December 04, 2011, 03:16:38 PM

I don't think there is enough news for a 24 hour news station.
Let alone four of them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Pretty much every speciality channel has realized this, it's why most of the news channels now turn into TV-talk shows after the working day....

And why the Weather Channel has disaster shows and gives katmai a job.  Or why the History Channel is full of dinosaurs, aliens and Hitler, or, if you like, alien-born Hitler dinosaurs.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on December 04, 2011, 03:16:38 PM

I don't think there is enough news for a 24 hour news station. They have to fill it up with garbage.

Oh there is, but nobody wants to watch it.   I don't think people are that interested in a lot of the news around the world.  New policies in China, EU Summits, etc.  All that is boring.  Apparently people want to watch talking heads scream at one another or missing white chicks.  Even violence doesn't always sell.  It's not like there much reporting about civil war in Somalia.  Hell, there's not a great deal of reporting about NATO troops in Afghanistan.  I don't know if it's because people don't care about that or because it's expensive and dangerous for journalists to go over there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 04, 2011, 03:44:30 PM
Pretty much every speciality channel has realized this, it's why most of the news channels now turn into TV-talk shows after the working day....

And why the Weather Channel has disaster shows and gives katmai a job.  Or why the History Channel is full of dinosaurs, aliens and Hitler, or, if you like, alien-born Hitler dinosaurs.

Your avatar kinda reminds me of Mitt Romney.

Alcibiades

I have to agree, there is tons of news every day that you can read about on the internet that you will never hear on news sites that are 24 hours a day.  They just don't bother reporting anything, and stick to about 1 hour worth of content every day and cycle it through constantly.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2011, 04:28:39 PM

Your avatar kinda reminds me of Mitt Romney.

And now I'm watching "They Live".

Valmy

Do they even show Hitler anymore?  I thought the History Channel had gone full reality shows and paranormal stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2011, 06:32:55 PM

Do they even show Hitler anymore?  I thought the History Channel had gone full reality shows and paranormal stuff.

It was years before I found out that little "H" in the corner stood for "History" and not "Hitler".