And we're back!

Main Menu

David Frum on the GOP

Started by Jacob, November 27, 2011, 11:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

I like to think I generally comport myself in an affable manner.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

I'm a huge jerk and I hate people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2011, 01:54:53 AM
Now, you know I don't think the former.  I'm on record as saying that every pre-FDR American government was practically demonic by modern standards, and every other country's government on Earth was even worse.
Not a fan of TR's reforms?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on November 30, 2011, 12:55:37 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2011, 11:15:29 PM
Quote from: Scipio on November 29, 2011, 05:34:54 PM
Compassion has no place in public policy.  Compassionate conservatism is a suicide pact.  Conservatism should be about conserving the fisc, preserving national security, and being left the hell alone.

Couldn't disagree more strenuously.

Public policy without an element of compassion is not any kind of public policy I want any part of.  Compassion must be an element of every decision, every element, of public policy.

Going right back to basics, conservatism is not about fiscal prudence, national security, and being left alone.  Conservatism is about being conservative, about being careful.  About realizing that our public policies have evolved carefully over centuries, and about realizing that for all its faults, our current system of government (liberal welfare state democracy) is the best form of government in human history.  Now out of those centuries of evolution we have learned that fiscal prudence is essential, that national security is essential, and that limiting (not eliminating) the effect of government on the populace is important.  But that does not make those the first principles of a conservative.
Can we do a conservative exchange program?  I'll take all the Canadian conservatives if Canada takes all American conservatives.  Hell, I'll even become conservative myself to sweeten the deal.

You can just go to Canada and we'll call it even :hug:

Scippy was 100% correct.  I'd think pretty much everyone would be soured on the whole Compassionate Conservative thing by now, but I guess not.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Granted I am on the outside looking in at the US but has there been such a thing as "compassionate conservativism in the US".

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Siege

Oh pleaze, this dude is a liberal.
He doesn't even understand that the goverment doesn't create jobs.
The goverment creates the business enviroment that allows the private sector to create jobs.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jacob

Quote from: Siege on November 30, 2011, 07:22:41 PM
Oh pleaze, this dude is a liberal.
He doesn't even understand that the goverment doesn't create jobs.
The goverment creates the business enviroment that allows the private sector to create jobs.

Hey Siegy, who created your job?

sbr

Admiral Yi

Greece created a lot of jobs.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points