And we're back!

Main Menu

Iranians storm UK embassy.

Started by Razgovory, November 29, 2011, 08:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2011, 03:32:06 PM
Britain actually had an embassy in Iran?  :huh:

I guess some people refuse to learn.  It's as dumb as the US maintaining an embassy in the PRC knowing that the PRiCks haven't protected it in the past and won't in the future.

Maybe the main function wasn't not to get stormed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

I guess some people refuse to learn.  It's as dumb as the US maintaining an embassy in the PRC knowing that the PRiCks haven't protected it in the past and won't in the future.

Or letting the Russians contract out the electrical work at the US embassy in Moscow.  Oh wait.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on November 29, 2011, 03:45:01 PM

They have marines guarding it? Should have gunned the protesters down.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

I believe our ambassadors have the right to take some pot-shots at protesters and police.

grumbler

No "maybe" about it, just as the main function of the ambassador isn't to not get murdered.  :smarty:

However, not being stormed and not being murdered are minimal functions without which main functions are meaningless.  :bowler:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on November 30, 2011, 12:59:22 PM
No "maybe" about it, just as the main function of the ambassador isn't to not get murdered.  :smarty:

However, not being stormed and not being murdered are minimal functions without which main functions are meaningless.  :bowler:

What a stupid thing to say.

MadImmortalMan

Fill up your gas tank.

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- France and Germany have both recalled their ambassasors to Iran for consultations following the attack on the U.K. embassy in Tehran, Reuters reported Wednesday. Earlier, the United Kingdom shut down the Iranian embassy in London and expelled all its staff in retaliation for the storming of the British diplomatic compound by an angry mob. The British government also shut its embassy in Iran and evacuated the staff, according to reports. In an official statement, France expressed solidarity with U.K. "Once again, the Iranian regime has just supplied proof of its low regard for international law. France condemns this flagrant and outrageous violation of the Vienna Convention," the statement said. Italy is also considering closing its embassy and plans to summon the Iranian ambassador to Rome to request guarantees for the safety of Italian diplomats in Iran, the news agency said.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on November 30, 2011, 01:17:00 PM
What a stupid thing to say.

Why, thank you!  You are either being funny, in which case I know I did a good job because you were "insulting" it, or you were being serious, in which case I know I did a good job because you were insulting it.   :showoff:

The only time you lack credibility is when you try to be credible.  :hug:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

UK pulled all its embassy staff out of Teheran and gave Iran 48 hours to pull hers out of London.

Jacob

Apparently the French and Germans are leaving too, and Italy is considering doing the same.

fhdz

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2011, 08:08:27 AM
The Telegraph's started a live blog.  I give it five minutes before they demand we send in Kitchener :lol:

:wub:
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

I don't know what Slarg can accomplish there.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on