News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

David Frum on the GOP

Started by Jacob, November 27, 2011, 11:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 30, 2011, 07:58:32 AM
Could be worse.  There's the off chance I might become a Judge.  Can't say the same for you.

What a shitty thing to say.
and the horse you rode in on

Habbaku

Well, Raz is a pretty shitty person.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

That was definitely a dirty tackle by Raz, and worthy of a yellow card.  However, it was a retaliation, it didn't come out of the blue.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on November 30, 2011, 12:17:40 PM
That was definitely a dirty tackle by Raz, and worthy of a yellow card.  However, it was a retaliation, it didn't come out of the blue.

Yep, they both get yellow cards.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2011, 12:19:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 30, 2011, 12:17:40 PM

Yep, they both get yellow cards.

A soccer reference? :yeahright:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2011, 09:48:46 AM
That's ultimately why the left is fundamentally stupid.  To consider what might be is fine and dandy.  To look at change to society is a noble endeavour.  But invariably the left ignores the risks of change, doesn't look at empirical evidence, doesn't consider the downside.

Unfortunately the conservatives pretty much do this in the US these days as well.  They are constantly calling for radical changes all over the place without seeming to really care about the actual unintended consequences.

You are talking about Burkean Conservatives but they are a very rare beast these days.  At least here.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2011, 12:21:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2011, 09:48:46 AM
That's ultimately why the left is fundamentally stupid.  To consider what might be is fine and dandy.  To look at change to society is a noble endeavour.  But invariably the left ignores the risks of change, doesn't look at empirical evidence, doesn't consider the downside.

Unfortunately the conservatives pretty much do this in the US these days as well.  They are constantly calling for radical changes all over the place without seeming to really care about the actual unintended consequences.

You are talking about Burkean Conservatives but they are a very rare beast these days.  At least here.
That's because Republicans are reactionaries, not conservatives.  They don't want to keep the status quo, they want roll back the advances of civilization won over the better part of 20th century.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on November 30, 2011, 11:43:52 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 30, 2011, 07:58:32 AM
Could be worse.  There's the off chance I might become a Judge.  Can't say the same for you.

What a shitty thing to say.

Just can't please you this week can I, Fahdiz?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on November 30, 2011, 08:52:55 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2011, 01:27:25 AM
Like, the equivalent of the birtherism/"Obama is a secret Muslim" stuff would be to accuse Mitt Romney of having four underage brides he keeps locked in his basement solely because he's a Mormon, or claiming that Rick Perry is a robot based solely on that one time his OS crashed.
Or maybe that Bush did 9/11?

Ah, that's a good one.  I'm not sure that's a leftist position though; the sort of type I've seen espouse that also tend to be libertarded in the worst way.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2011, 01:05:24 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 30, 2011, 08:52:55 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2011, 01:27:25 AM
Like, the equivalent of the birtherism/"Obama is a secret Muslim" stuff would be to accuse Mitt Romney of having four underage brides he keeps locked in his basement solely because he's a Mormon, or claiming that Rick Perry is a robot based solely on that one time his OS crashed.
Or maybe that Bush did 9/11?

Ah, that's a good one.  I'm not sure that's a leftist position though; the sort of type I've seen espouse that also tend to be libertarded in the worst way.

:yeahright:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_9/11
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Yeah, that's just Michael Moore being crazy in a different, lesser way.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 30, 2011, 12:36:01 PM
Just can't please you this week can I, Fahdiz?

You're not required to. I'm just letting you know you are being a real asshole. If you're fine with that, by all means, carry on. God forbid this place be populated by people with class.
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

On a forum where people regularly wish AIDS on one another making a realistic assessment of some guy's chance at judgehood is shitty?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on November 30, 2011, 03:49:47 PM
On a forum where people regularly wish AIDS on one another making a realistic assessment of some guy's chance at judgehood is shitty?
:pinch: Man, rough game tonight. :books The Brain: