News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New gaming PC finally ordered

Started by Berkut, April 28, 2009, 09:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Uggh, I think the hard drive is borked. I am trying to install Vista on the new machine, and it is taking literally hours to do the file expansion.

Can anyone tell me how long it typically takes?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Definitely not 'hours'.  I had something similar happen with a former PC and the drive ended up being ok, but I'd set something incorrectly in the BIOS... like turned off DMA or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 02:22:13 PM
QuoteYou won't use the full power of I7 nor of GTX275 soon.

The i7 I would agree with, the GTX275 I would not at all. I suspect I will use "the full power of it" the moment I load up Call of Duty, in fact.

I'm late to the party, but I disagree with the statement regarding the i7 as well.  If you intend to run multiple CPU or memory intensive applications at once, like multiple EVE clients, you certainly will use the full power of the i7.  I've already pegged all 4 cores of my Core 2 Quad a few times.  I'd love to have the hardware threads, plus a true multicore architecture.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on May 02, 2009, 12:19:50 PM
Uggh, I think the hard drive is borked. I am trying to install Vista on the new machine, and it is taking literally hours to do the file expansion.

Hadn't notice this before.

How did this end?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2009, 11:00:09 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 02, 2009, 12:19:50 PM

Hadn't notice this before.

How did this end?
Ordered a new hard drive, runs like butter now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Queequeg

Anyone have any idea when I will be able to get a gaming platform with Windows 7? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Queequeg on May 22, 2009, 11:09:57 PM
Anyone have any idea when I will be able to get a gaming platform with Windows 7?
Now, if you're willing to run the release candidate and beta drivers.