Main Menu

New gaming PC finally ordered

Started by Berkut, April 28, 2009, 09:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Syt on April 28, 2009, 02:07:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2009, 02:05:49 PM
Yikes.

It's nicely ventilated and installing an extra HD was easy.
It's not so much the design as it is the lighting.  I love those new-model roomy cases, but I hate the principle that so many have that LEDs are an essential part of a high-quality case.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2009, 07:04:38 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 28, 2009, 02:07:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2009, 02:05:49 PM
Yikes.

It's nicely ventilated and installing an extra HD was easy.
It's not so much the design as it is the lighting.  I love those new-model roomy cases, but I hate the principle that so many have that LEDs are an essential part of a high-quality case.

You'd like the Mac Pro case.  Very roomy, installing an extra HD (has space for 4) or more RAM (has 8 slots) is extremely easy, good ventillation and very quiet - and not a single LED to be seen.  :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2009, 07:43:28 PM
You'd like the Mac Pro case.  Very roomy, installing an extra HD (has space for 4) or more RAM (has 8 slots) is extremely easy, good ventillation and very quiet - and not a single LED to be seen.  :contract:
Yeah, but it's a Mac. :(
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2009, 07:46:36 PM

Mine is also the nicest Windows machine I've ever owned. :)

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2009, 07:49:12 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2009, 07:46:36 PM

Mine is also the nicest Windows machine I've ever owned. :)
PCs work perfectly well, at a better price.  I don't have to worry about reboot every time I want to play a game, or worry about how I'm booting the machine up.  I can plug in existing harddrives for additional storage (as I require at minimum 2 TB of HD space).  I also don't need to defend my sexuality.

I'm the guy in the market for a new PC, and I can't justify the purchase of a Mac.

grumbler

Agree.  My stacker has no see-through panels :x: nor LEDs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2009, 08:19:43 PM
Agree.  My stacker has no see-through panels :x: nor LEDs.
I don't really care about the transparent panels.  I suppose I'd prefer to avoid them, but since my box is under my desk, it doesn't really matter to me.

Grey Fox

My HAF has both a see thru-panel & LEDs. Surprisingly, it's much less annoying then I thought it would.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

szmik

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 02:44:12 PM
Plus, when you load a case like that up with a high end graphics card and CPU, it is going to be loud as hell. Probably rattle, and certainly will not have the amenities like front USB ports and such. Pass.

Not at all, it has front mic, headset and USB ports, although I admit I had to buy and install extra fans. And it comes without PSU. It's a bit clumsy and you have to use screws to install drives, but that's expected for such a price and you don't have to do it daily.

Funny, because cases have hardly anything to do with level of noise. Cooling solutions on mb, PSU, CPU and graphics card have.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Caliga

:bleeding:

tripped-out cases with cosmetic lighting and see-through panels are the equivalent of 20-inch blades on an Impala.  They're for wigger gamers.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2009, 07:08:02 AM
:bleeding:

tripped-out cases with cosmetic lighting and see-through panels are the equivalent of 20-inch blades on an Impala.  They're for wigger gamers.  :cool:

Hehe, I don't really get that - the case is shoved under my desk anyway, so why would I want it to have LEDs and crap?

I just want it to be solid, easy to work with, quiet, and have accessible front panel connections.

And I expect it to last me pretty much forever.

Although I bet Jake would think a see through panel and LEDs are cool. He would want to turn the lights out to play Webkins.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I got my case not for the bluish glow of the LED, but for the big ass fan on the side of the casing. However, it's facing away from me, so I don't care.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2009, 05:03:52 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 02:44:12 PM
The cheapest case available on newegg, and why I wouldn't buy it:
(snip)
Plus, when you load a case like that up with a high end graphics card and CPU, it is going to be loud as hell. Probably rattle, and certainly will not have the amenities like front USB ports and such. Pass.
A great case is a great investment.  Cooler, quieter, and lasts forever.  Cheap cases are like cheap shoes - they save you in the short run and cost you in the long.  And, in the meantime, you are stuck with cheap shoes!

hear him!

I took your advice grumbler and bought a good case when I ordered my most recent machine. Money well spent, the computer runs nice and cool despite it's high-end graphics cards, reaonably quiet too. So, we went with another upmarket case when my eldest boy got a new PC; once again we are getting excellent results.

Barrister

Quote from: szmik on April 29, 2009, 04:14:47 AM
Funny, because cases have hardly anything to do with level of noise. Cooling solutions on mb, PSU, CPU and graphics card have.

Quite wrong.

A well designed case will first be solidly made so it does not pass on vibration from internal components to the outside.

But more importantly a well designed case will have well designed air path for cooling, which means that fans can run at a lower speed, which means less noise.