News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New gaming PC finally ordered

Started by Berkut, April 28, 2009, 09:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

I've always bought cheap cases and have never had a problem with noise.

Barrister

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 29, 2009, 11:24:27 AM

If you're generally not bothered by computer noise then you can buy all the cheap cases you want.  But that's not to say there isn't a difference however.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DisturbedPervert

I would be bothered, my friend's Xbox 360 is noisy, and it's annoying.  Just never had that happen.

grumbler

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 29, 2009, 11:24:27 AM
There is a point at which components don't generate enough heat to require a lot of cooling, so cheap aluminum cases work reasonably well.  However, they don't last as long (riveted aluminum just cannot compete with welded steel for lifespan) and will get noisier as time goes on, with the rivets loosening and you putting in components that need more and more airflow to stay cool.

My ATI 1950 card is infamous for the noise its fan puts out.  My case cooling is so good, however, that the GPU fan almost never runs at more than 40% of designed speed, and that cuts down on noise quite significantly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

I went from "cheapest crappiest case" to "semi-expensive" last time I bought a computer, and I have to say that the fans and the whole rig runs very quietly. There are actually three cooling fans in the cabinet, which seemed like overkill to me, but then I noticed how much heat the components actually would produce, and thanked The Hod Of Cabinets for this.

Now, if I only could get something to cool down the 10 year old Lexmark laser printer I saved from stepdad's "throw away stuff I can't use because I can't see" fest a year ago.

Caliga

Quote from: Norgy on April 30, 2009, 03:29:40 AMLexmark

:bleeding:

God, that company is a mess.  I used to work closely with them in my previous job (they are based here in Lexington, KY).  Management doesn't know their asses from apple butter.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Scipio

Well, my case is loud.  But otherwise, it's perfect.  quieter fans would help, I'm sure.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

szmik

Quote from: grumbler on April 29, 2009, 12:33:54 PM
There is a point at which components don't generate enough heat to require a lot of cooling, so cheap aluminum cases work reasonably well.  However, they don't last as long (riveted aluminum just cannot compete with welded steel for lifespan) and will get noisier as time goes on, with the rivets loosening and you putting in components that need more and more airflow to stay cool.
How many times have you changed the motherboard and/or CPU in your current case?  :rolleyes:

And you need more airflow whether you have cheap or expensive case. If you install good fans in cheap case it works the same way. Cheap cases don't have upper ventilation though.

QuoteMy ATI 1950 card is infamous for the noise its fan puts out.  My case cooling is so good, however, that the GPU fan almost never runs at more than 40% of designed speed, and that cuts down on noise quite significantly.
How did you measure this 40%?
Sure, front and rear (or better upper) fans help a lot in every case. Anyway I prefer to add them by myself.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Berkut

My new PC is "out for delivery".

Come on Big Brown Truck!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

In my previous case, I changed the mobo or cpu a total of 8 times.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Norgy

Quote from: Caliga on April 30, 2009, 07:37:34 AM

:bleeding:

God, that company is a mess.  I used to work closely with them in my previous job (they are based here in Lexington, KY).  Management doesn't know their asses from apple butter.

The printer has been surprisingly reliable. Ten years of service isn't bad.
I am expecting it to melt down just as I am printing out papers for an important meeting or preparing to hand in an exam.

grumbler

Quote from: szmik on April 30, 2009, 10:10:50 AM
How many times have you changed the motherboard and/or CPU in your current case?  :rolleyes:
Current case, once.  Last case, twice. :rolleyes:

QuoteHow did you measure this 40%?
How does one measure fan speeds?  By percentage of maximum speed.  Utilities like Speedfan or ATITool can give you fan speeds (and even help you control them). 

QuoteSure, front and rear (or better upper) fans help a lot in every case. Anyway I prefer to add them by myself.
Side fans can make a huge difference since they are not blowing past your HDDs before getting to the mobo/CPU.  Plus, side fans can be bigger (and therefor slower/quieter).  My case is set up to have three airflows:  one in the front across the HDDs, then up and out the top, one in the side and across the CPU, thence out the back through the PSU fan, and one in the side, across the GPU, and out the back via the GPU fan vent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Fans, how quaint.

I just drop my entire case into super cooled non conductive olive oil.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2009, 11:51:02 AM
Fans, how quaint.

I just drop my entire case into super cooled non conductive olive oil.

:cool:

I need to do that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

I hope you are enjoying your new rig as much as I am enjoying mine.