News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New gaming PC finally ordered

Started by Berkut, April 28, 2009, 09:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I've had no issues with Vista Ultimate so far.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

szmik

160$ for a case?
oh, I buy it for like 20$  :P but I don't care about it, much more of what's inside.

You won't use the full power of I7 nor of GTX275 soon. Core2Duo (maybe Quad) would easily suffice, 6GB is  more than you will use, but it looks cool. I really think it's overpaid overkill for a gaming rig, but looks impressive for LAN party or something.  :D
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Grey Fox

Quote from: szmik on April 28, 2009, 01:51:10 PM
160$ for a case?
oh, I buy it for like 20$  :P but I don't care about it, much more of what's inside.

:lol: I have a 225$ Case.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Seen

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 11:44:53 AM
I really am curious to hear how I could ahve saved $550 and gotten the same gaming perfomrance.

After all, the MB+CPU+memory combo didn't cost that much in total.
Hmm, lets see where the excess is. The software, 60 on mobo, case...o wait, you got the 275, that explains the gap. Misread it for 260. Well you will definitly beat me  :D

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

Looks pretty sweet, Berkut.

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2009, 01:17:59 PM
You guys keep believing that.

XP is old and clunky and sucks now.  It's difficult and annoying having to go back to using it when I'm trying to fix some morons computer.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2009, 02:05:49 PM
Yikes.

It's nicely ventilated and installing an extra HD was easy.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: szmik on April 28, 2009, 01:51:10 PM
160$ for a case?

$20 for a case?

I guess I care about things like

1. How quiet it is.
2. Quality of construction
3. Ease of getting in and out of it.
4. That it not look like a cheap piece of shit.

QuoteYou won't use the full power of I7 nor of GTX275 soon.

The i7 I would agree with, the GTX275 I would not at all. I suspect I will use "the full power of it" the moment I load up Call of Duty, in fact.

QuoteCore2Duo (maybe Quad) would easily suffice, 6GB is  more than you will use,

Suffice? My current PC would "suffice" and has "sufficed" for the last 5 years. And 6GB can certainly be used by a multi-core processor, especially if you have multiple programs running at the same time.

Like two copies of EVE at once.

Quotebut it looks cool.

Not really - it will be buried inside that case, won't even be able to see it.

QuoteI really think it's overpaid overkill for a gaming rig,

Not at all. It is a mid-line gaming system for people who are PC gamers. Overkill is $400 graphics cards, or two or three of them. Or $900 CPUs.

There is a small amount of overkill here, in that I could ahve saved a hudnred bucks here or there and had pretty similar performance, but at no point have I chosen to spend a large amount to eek out a few more percent.

Quotebut looks impressive for LAN party or something.

I guess you would know more about LAN parties than I do, since I've never been to one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Seen on April 28, 2009, 02:04:37 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 11:44:53 AM
I really am curious to hear how I could ahve saved $550 and gotten the same gaming perfomrance.

After all, the MB+CPU+memory combo didn't cost that much in total.
Hmm, lets see where the excess is. The software, 60 on mobo, case...o wait, you got the 275, that explains the gap. Misread it for 260. Well you will definitly beat me  :D

Other than the OS, the software was "free".

$60 on the MB, ok. Maybe another $50-$100 on the CPU as well, and $30 on the memory. That is what I think I could have saved and still ended up with a very similar level of performance *today*.

0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2009, 11:32:26 AMand you think going Vista to Win 7 is going to work?

Do you have reason to assume it won't?  I have Vista 64 right now and I'm expecting a rather smooth transition.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 02:22:13 PM
And 6GB can certainly be used by a multi-core processor, especially if you have multiple programs running at the same time.

It's also useful in Vista. The OS itself plus websurfing and music listening takes up ca. 2 gigs of RAM for me; the other 6 gigs are useful for playing games and being able to alt-tab without hitches.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

And more importantly - memory is fucking dirt cheap. Who cares whether 6GB is needed or not? It isn't like I am going to save a giant pile of cash by going with 4.

0 rows returned

Caliga

:yes: Memory is so cheap right now that if I was planning a new build I would max out the board.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points