Main Menu

New gaming PC finally ordered

Started by Berkut, April 28, 2009, 09:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: szmik on April 28, 2009, 01:51:10 PM
160$ for a case?
oh, I buy it for like 20$  :P but I don't care about it

I've never understood paying much more than that either. 

Berkut

Interesting - Newegg does not sell a computer case for $20. Not a single one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

The cheapest case available on newegg, and why I wouldn't buy it:

Pros: - Cheap.
- Decent Looking.
- Easy to install stuff in.Cons: - Flimsy, thin material, but that is to be expected.
- Doesn't stay balanced sitting on table, too much chassis flex I can't get it to sit nicely so I had to stick a wad of duct tape under one of the feet, which aren't real feet just the metal was formed out to that shape.Other Thoughts: Bought this and stuck a cheap AM2+ board and proc in for a system for my parents... They've been using it a couple months now without a problem. I like the case enough for them since they never touch it... but I wouldn't buy it for my own PC with how often I tear it open.

Plus, when you load a case like that up with a high end graphics card and CPU, it is going to be loud as hell. Probably rattle, and certainly will not have the amenities like front USB ports and such. Pass.

0 rows returned

Seen

At least you got more replies as you requested   ;)

And I already agreed its a solid system, heck, i was considering the same system as I posted a little bit back  :lol:

Berkut

Quote from: Seen on April 28, 2009, 02:47:56 PM
At least you got more replies as you requested   ;)

Indeed. More discussion is almost always good. :P

And I did seriosuly consider going with one notch down on the poerfomrance scale - spend ~$200 for a CPU, ~130 for a MB, ~190 for a GFX card. Could ahve gotten pretty much identical performance right now for a hundre or two hundred less.

But this is going to last me at least 4 or 5 years, with some upgrades.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

My only desires for a case :

Silence.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on April 28, 2009, 02:50:21 PM
My only desires for a case :

Silence.

Not my only desires, but it is certainly the most important. Hence why spending more to get high quality is worth it.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on April 28, 2009, 02:27:27 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2009, 11:32:26 AMand you think going Vista to Win 7 is going to work?

Do you have reason to assume it won't?  I have Vista 64 right now and I'm expecting a rather smooth transition.

XP to Vista isn't so good.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Seen

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 02:48:45 PM

A Could ahve gotten pretty much identical performance right now for a hundre or two hundred less.
Pure system wise 300-400$ still, but sure, if you dont plan to upgrade at all why not waste it today.  ;)

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 02:44:12 PM
The cheapest case available on newegg, and why I wouldn't buy it:
(snip)
Plus, when you load a case like that up with a high end graphics card and CPU, it is going to be loud as hell. Probably rattle, and certainly will not have the amenities like front USB ports and such. Pass.
A great case is a great investment.  Cooler, quieter, and lasts forever.  Cheap cases are like cheap shoes - they save you in the short run and cost you in the long.  And, in the meantime, you are stuck with cheap shoes!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Seen on April 28, 2009, 04:30:59 PM

A Could ahve gotten pretty much identical performance right now for a hundre or two hundred less.
Pure system wise 300-400$ still, but sure, if you dont plan to upgrade at all why not waste it today.  ;)

No, I could not have gotten equivalent performance for $300-400 less.

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 06:15:55 PM

This reminds me of all the conversations trying to argue that Macs are "overpriced".  :lol:

If you take a bunch of components that are "almost as good as" something else, sure enough you can always come up with a significantly cheaper system.  But you are making compromises.

Berkut said from day 1 he wanted an i7 system, and for it to be relatively future-proof.  This seems like a very sound system for what he wanted.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Grats Berkie, may it serve you well in all your gaming endevours.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

I just notice, Berkut.

You bought a Cosmos 1000? :o

You'll have to tell us how much quieter it is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2009, 06:23:33 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 06:15:55 PM

This reminds me of all the conversations trying to argue that Macs are "overpriced".  :lol:

If you take a bunch of components that are "almost as good as" something else, sure enough you can always come up with a significantly cheaper system.  But you are making compromises.

Berkut said from day 1 he wanted an i7 system, and for it to be relatively future-proof.  This seems like a very sound system for what he wanted.

GOod point, except that Macs are over-priced. :P

0 rows returned