Language Police to Force Children to Speak French During Recess

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2011, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on January 16, 2012, 12:00:26 PM
instead of starting a new language thread i thought i'd bump this one. a report by some think tank is out. Seems that Ontario spends 7.5 time as much per per person to accomadate its minority speakers then Quebec does. Ontario spends $52 per person and Quebec $7. That's per citizen, not per minority speaker. For compairson Ontario has 489,000 francophones to Quebecs 575,000 anglo's.
for once, we are more efficient than Ontario.  Good news.   :cool:
You probably import your french translators from oversea, knowing Ontario's usual snobbing of Quebec based products (laugh all you want, but Canadian tv series and movies are dubbed in France...).

Can't see how you justify the costs of 52$ per person.  I suspect different methods in accounting.  Maybe in Ontario they count French schools and the only french hospital (there are at least 4 in Quebec) of the province as part of their translation budget.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

PArt of it is that Quebec is a poor province and probbly spends less per capita on all kinds of public services when compared to Ontario.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

instead of starting a new language thread i thought i'd bump this one. a report by some think tank is out. Seems that Ontario spends 7.5 time as much per per person to accomadate its minority speakers then Quebec does. Ontario spends $52 per person and Quebec $7. That's per citizen, not per minority speaker. For compairson Ontario has 489,000 francophones to Quebecs 575,000 anglo's.
Surely 'minority speaker' would include things like translation of government services for recent migrants too, not just Anglo-Quebecois?
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 16, 2012, 04:17:54 PM
Surely 'minority speaker' would include things like translation of government services for recent migrants too, not just Anglo-Quebecois?
didn't read the report, but the news snippet made it seem like this cost was solely francophone tracked. i was goign to link the article but i forgot where i read it :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on January 16, 2012, 04:08:51 PM
for once, we are more efficient than Ontario.  Good news.   :cool:
You probably import your french translators from oversea, knowing Ontario's usual snobbing of Quebec based products (laugh all you want, but Canadian tv series and movies are dubbed in France...).
We probably dub outside of Quebec becasue we're taught proper parisian french and you guys speak funny french :P

Which i always found odd, really. if we're taught french to communicate with quebec why not learn your version of french?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on January 16, 2012, 04:34:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 16, 2012, 04:17:54 PM
didn't read the report, but the news snippet made it seem like this cost was solely francophone tracked. i was goign to link the article but i forgot where i read it :lol:
Ottawa Sun.  They even mispelled the French title...  52$ per person, and yet, Ontario can't find any decent translator in the province :(

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on January 16, 2012, 04:35:58 PM
Which i always found odd, really. if we're taught french to communicate with quebec why not learn your version of french?
accent aside, for formal speech, the words&expressions are 99% similars.  For informal chatter, it's a whole lot different though.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on January 16, 2012, 04:46:50 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 16, 2012, 04:35:58 PM
accent aside, for formal speech, the words&expressions are 99% similars.  For informal chatter, it's a whole lot different though.

I'm actually going through this right now as I've been running studies in France/Quebec. I had a French colleague look over that my client's translators provided and she said that the Quebec translation would have been better than the French (France) for both markets. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on January 16, 2012, 04:08:51 PM
for once, we are more efficient than Ontario.  Good news.   :cool:

Can't see how you justify the costs of 52$ per person.  I suspect different methods in accounting.  Maybe in Ontario they count French schools and the only french hospital (there are at least 4 in Quebec) of the province as part of their translation budget.

Well, maybe people in Ontario are just worth more.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017